Are procedural tactics the best way to oppose Bill C-38?
Original post June 11:
Opposition parties - and in particular Green Party Leader Elizabeth May - are planning to introduce hundreds of amendments to the government's budget implementation bill this week in an effort to force the bill to be broken up.
Elizabeth May has proposed hundreds of changes to the government's budget bill. (Darryl Dyck/CP)The Budget Implementation Act - a massive 450-page bill that makes changes to numerous Canadian laws - is back in the House of Commons for its third and final reading.
Nearly one-third of the act proposes changes to environmental laws, including a new Environmental Assessment Act. Amendments to those sections are of particular interest to May, who has put forth 330 amendments.
The Green Party is not alone in its opposition to the bill.
The Liberals will also weigh in with 503 proposed changes. The NDP has proposed 506 changes, while the Bloc Quebecois has said they will support the changes of their fellow opposition groups and introduce 22 of their own.
Hundreds of the proposed changes are expected to overlap, but members are nevertheless preparing to spend an uncomfortably long time in the House of Commons to deal with the remaining ones.
The NDP says that each vote on a budget amendment amounts to a confidence vote, and there's a risk the government could fall.
"This is entirely of their own design and from the beginning we warned the government that this day was coming," said NDP House leader Nathan Cullen.
Are procedural tactics the best way to oppose Bill C-38? Are these tactics fair game as long as all parties follow parliamentary rules? Let us know what you think.
(This survey is not scientific. Results are based on readers' responses.)
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Andrea Lee-Greenberg, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
Other Your Community Entries
- 2012 (1287)
- Should the teacher who showed suspected Magnotta tape be charged?
- Should 'safe' ecstasy be legalized in Canada?
- Are procedural tactics the best way to oppose Bill C-38?
- Student brings 35-foot-long cheat sheet into exam, gets expelled
- What is 'Canadian' food?
- Shoes say a lot about a person, study finds
- June photo contest: Dancing Never Gets Old
- Tweeters pounce on NBA cat names hashtag
- Bob Rae earns Twitter praise for race announcement
- Reaction to the shooting of a polar bear in Newfoundland
- Do you avoid disturbing news coverage?
- Would you grow your own shoes from 'genetically manipulated stingrays'?
- Dozens of Justin Bieber fans injured in Norway
- I [Heart] NY logo revamp? Fuggedaboutit!
- Musical grill blasts beats through your teeth
- Reaction to Canada's 'unique strain of Dutch Disease'
- New York sugary drink ban bubbles over on Twitter
- Mountain Dew + Orange Juice = Taco Bell's new breakfast drink
- Dr. Ruth to launch low-alcohol line of wines
- Reaction to census data on seniors and toddlers
- Should government seek clemency for Canadians on death row?
- Ugly Meter app worries cyber bullying activists
- And the winner of our April showers photo contest is...
- What would you add to Avery Canahuati's bucket list?
- Who is Titanic II backer Clive Palmer?
- Trending April 30: Titanic II, Conrad Black
- Should Conrad Black regain his Canadian citizenship?
- CBC's David McKie on investigative reporting
- Should rooftop missiles be installed for London Olympics security?
- Obama and Kimmel high-five at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- March photo contest: the winner!
- Shatner-hosted 2012 Juno Awards inspire fanfare
- 10 readers share their Katimavik stories
- Katimavik defended 26 years after Hébert hunger strike
- Earth Hour, Mega Millions, angry 'Beliebers' in morning trends
- Maple syrup hoarders prepare for shortage
- Top 5 at 5: CBC North
- Would bigger tax exemptions encourage you to shop across the border?
- What were your happiest years?
- Should charities lose their status for protesting?
- Community reaction to the Pierre Poutine revelations
- Top 5 at 5: Business stories
- Lady Gaga and Oprah Winfrey launch anti-bullying foundation
- Davy Jones honoured by fans on social media
- February photo contest: the winner!
- Women take the leap and propose marriage on Feb. 29
- Community reaction to closing of high Arctic lab
- Would you freeze-dry a deceased pet?
- U.S. storm watchers swap stories on social media
- Should Canada create an asbestos registry?
- January photo contest: the winner
- Top 5 at 5: Montreal stories
- Should Peru's uncontacted tribes be left alone?
- Is Ashton Kutcher right to block journalists from his Twitter feed?
- Would you wear Dress Pant Sweatpants in your workplace?
- Where do you donate your used clothing?
- Could a UN resolution help end Syria's unrest?
- Top 5 at 5: Politics stories
- Do you trust a camel that predicts Super Bowl winners?
- Community reaction to the Shafia trial verdict
- June (76)