Should Ontario require Catholic schools to allow 'gay' in student group names?
Premier Dalton McGuinty says he is not requiring Catholic schools to form 'gay-straight alliances.' (Michelle Siu/Canadian Press)The archbishop of Toronto, Thomas Cardinal Collins, spoke out against the bill, writing that "all forms of bullying need to be addressed, and all victims of bullying need to be helped."
The Liberal government says that if Catholic students in the province form anti-homophobia clubs in their school, the schools can't prevent them from calling them gay-straight alliances.
Education Minister Laurel Broten told CBC Radio's Metro Morning on Monday that the names of clubs do matter.
"To many of our students, we know that the term 'gay-straight alliance' has great meaning, and that words matter, and that if you can't name something you can't address it," Broten said.
John Del Grande, a trustee with the Toronto Catholic District School Board, told CBC Radio's Metro Morning that the existence of these clubs does not stop bullying in and of itself.
He also suggested that the gay-straight alliance terminology is linked to a larger political movement "that is tied to activism and political changes much beyond just bullying."
Premier Dalton McGuinty emphasized that the government is not mandating use of the term, just insisting that students have the option to use it.
Should Ontario require Catholic schools to allow 'gay' in student group names? Do you think the name of the group matters? Why or why not? Let us know what you think.
(This survey is not scientific. Results are based on readers' responses.)
RELATED LINK: #bullyPROOF - The bully, the bullied and the bystanders. CBC News looks into the epidemic of bullying in our schools.
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Andrea Lee-Greenberg, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
Other Your Community Entries
- 2012 (1204)
- Dr. Ruth to launch low-alcohol line of wines
- Reaction to census data on seniors and toddlers
- Can BlackBerry maker RIM turn things around?
- Should Ontario require Catholic schools to allow 'gay' in student group names?
- Romney iPhone app typo pledges 'a better Amercia'
- Divorce Hotel offers couples a quick split
- Severed foot package provokes questions, dark humour
- Rude people prefer aggressive dogs, study finds
- What's keeping kids from being more active?
- Reaction to Canada's expulsion of Syrian diplomats
- Should government seek clemency for Canadians on death row?
- Ugly Meter app worries cyber bullying activists
- And the winner of our April showers photo contest is...
- What would you add to Avery Canahuati's bucket list?
- Who is Titanic II backer Clive Palmer?
- Trending April 30: Titanic II, Conrad Black
- Should Conrad Black regain his Canadian citizenship?
- CBC's David McKie on investigative reporting
- Should rooftop missiles be installed for London Olympics security?
- Obama and Kimmel high-five at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- March photo contest: the winner!
- Shatner-hosted 2012 Juno Awards inspire fanfare
- 10 readers share their Katimavik stories
- Katimavik defended 26 years after Hébert hunger strike
- Earth Hour, Mega Millions, angry 'Beliebers' in morning trends
- Maple syrup hoarders prepare for shortage
- Top 5 at 5: CBC North
- Would bigger tax exemptions encourage you to shop across the border?
- What were your happiest years?
- Should charities lose their status for protesting?
- Community reaction to the Pierre Poutine revelations
- Top 5 at 5: Business stories
- Lady Gaga and Oprah Winfrey launch anti-bullying foundation
- Davy Jones honoured by fans on social media
- February photo contest: the winner!
- Women take the leap and propose marriage on Feb. 29
- Community reaction to closing of high Arctic lab
- Would you freeze-dry a deceased pet?
- U.S. storm watchers swap stories on social media
- Should Canada create an asbestos registry?
- January photo contest: the winner
- Top 5 at 5: Montreal stories
- Should Peru's uncontacted tribes be left alone?
- Is Ashton Kutcher right to block journalists from his Twitter feed?
- Would you wear Dress Pant Sweatpants in your workplace?
- Where do you donate your used clothing?
- Could a UN resolution help end Syria's unrest?
- Top 5 at 5: Politics stories
- Do you trust a camel that predicts Super Bowl winners?
- Community reaction to the Shafia trial verdict
- May (156)