Is this 'tanning mom' action figure appropriate?
This undated photo provided by HeroBuilders shows the novelty company's new "tanorexic" action figure based on Patricia Krentcil. (AP Photo/HeroBuilders)
Patricia Krentcil made headlines on May 3 when she was accused of bringing her five-year-old daughter into a tanning booth. She denied the allegations, pleading not guilty to felony child endangerment charges, and was been released on a $25,000 US bond.
Images of the deeply bronzed 44-year-old have since circulated the globe, making her fodder for many a mocking blog post and parody sketch. Her likeness even popped up in the form of an orange-painted Kristen Wiig on Saturday Night Live.
Krentcil told the New York Post that Wiig's parody was "hysterical" and "well done."
Krentcil is also a fan of the "Tanorexic Action Figure," according to Emil Vicale, of toy company Herobuilders.com, who created the doll based on her image.
"I think she's ordered one and people she knows," Vicale told the Huffington Post. "We're getting orders from her part of the country."
The Connecticut-based company, which specializes in customized action figures, is selling their tan mom action figure for $29.95 US.
Only the head of the doll is tanned, said Vicale, a decision meant to expedite production. Her body is the same one used by the company for Sarah Palin action figures, according to CNN.
Reception to the doll has been mixed. Many are poking fun at the concept, while others decry it for a variety of reasons:
I would not buy the "tan mom" doll, fame should be about the good we do in the world, not self sabotage & harm to our kids-- Natasha DeLima (@Natasha78d) May 9, 2012
Obviously "Tan Mom" is outrageous, but she needs help. So, how is the media frenzy surrounding her & now a new doll different than bullying?-- John J. Tierney (@JJT) May 10, 2012
Ok there is now a doll of the "tan mom" - really? Who would seriously by that?-- Tina Seitzinger(@TinaSeitzinger) May 9, 2012
Wait...you can now buy a "tan mom doll"!!!!!! Thanks New Jersey! You have officially destroyed our youth!!!!!!! #newjerseyisntamerica-- William Hirsch (@Capsfanatic_wvu) May 9, 2012
What's your take? Is this "tan mom" doll inappropriate?
(This survey is not scientific. Results are based on readers' responses.)
More entries for category: Community
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Andrea Lee-Greenberg, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
Other Your Community Entries
- 2012 (1210)
- I [Heart] NY logo revamp? Fuggedaboutit!
- Musical grill blasts beats through your teeth
- Reaction to Canada's 'unique strain of Dutch Disease'
- New York sugary drink ban bubbles over on Twitter
- Do you avoid disturbing news coverage?
- Mountain Dew + Orange Juice = Taco Bell's new breakfast drink
- Dr. Ruth to launch low-alcohol line of wines
- Reaction to census data on seniors and toddlers
- Can BlackBerry maker RIM turn things around?
- Should Ontario require Catholic schools to allow 'gay' in student group names?
- Should government seek clemency for Canadians on death row?
- Ugly Meter app worries cyber bullying activists
- And the winner of our April showers photo contest is...
- What would you add to Avery Canahuati's bucket list?
- Who is Titanic II backer Clive Palmer?
- Trending April 30: Titanic II, Conrad Black
- Should Conrad Black regain his Canadian citizenship?
- CBC's David McKie on investigative reporting
- Should rooftop missiles be installed for London Olympics security?
- Obama and Kimmel high-five at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- March photo contest: the winner!
- Shatner-hosted 2012 Juno Awards inspire fanfare
- 10 readers share their Katimavik stories
- Katimavik defended 26 years after Hébert hunger strike
- Earth Hour, Mega Millions, angry 'Beliebers' in morning trends
- Maple syrup hoarders prepare for shortage
- Top 5 at 5: CBC North
- Would bigger tax exemptions encourage you to shop across the border?
- What were your happiest years?
- Should charities lose their status for protesting?
- Community reaction to the Pierre Poutine revelations
- Top 5 at 5: Business stories
- Lady Gaga and Oprah Winfrey launch anti-bullying foundation
- Davy Jones honoured by fans on social media
- February photo contest: the winner!
- Women take the leap and propose marriage on Feb. 29
- Community reaction to closing of high Arctic lab
- Would you freeze-dry a deceased pet?
- U.S. storm watchers swap stories on social media
- Should Canada create an asbestos registry?
- January photo contest: the winner
- Top 5 at 5: Montreal stories
- Should Peru's uncontacted tribes be left alone?
- Is Ashton Kutcher right to block journalists from his Twitter feed?
- Would you wear Dress Pant Sweatpants in your workplace?
- Where do you donate your used clothing?
- Could a UN resolution help end Syria's unrest?
- Top 5 at 5: Politics stories
- Do you trust a camel that predicts Super Bowl winners?
- Community reaction to the Shafia trial verdict
- May (162)