@Oprah is one of the 5 people ever I wanted to meet and she's here in front of me in Toronto-- Andre James (@ICEDON) April 16, 2012
The American media mogul brought Oprah's Lifeclass Tour to Toronto Monday for her first ever Canadian broadcast, delighting fans who had lamented that they'd never have the chance to see her live when Winfrey retired her long-running talk show in 2011.
"This has been on my bucket list for years and years to see Oprah and be in the audience," said Julie Hryniewicz, a motivational speaker from Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. to the Canadian Press."She really is a mentor in a lot of ways."
Hyrniecwicz' sentiments were echoed by many of those lined up outside of the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, some who had been waiting for the doors to open since 4 a.m.
According to CBC reporter Genevieve Tomney, the topic of "things I want to do before I die" was hot among those waiting in line.
Winfrey, an avid proponent of the bucket list concept herself, brought a handful of noted gurus like Tony Robbins and Deepak Chopra along with her on tour to lead a discussion about forgiveness, how to let go of the past and move on to the future.
Both audience members and people who enjoyed the show digitally were Tweeting about the impact of Oprah's presence in Canada.
Is meeting Oprah on your bucket list? If not, what is? Let us know in the comments below, and be sure to follow our Oprah Lifeclass live blog for the play by play.
More entries for category: Community
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Andrea Lee-Greenberg, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
More Your Community Entries
- 2012 (1150)
- Online dater sends out awkward post-date survey
- Should Nik Wallenda use a safety device to cross Niagara Falls?
- May photo contest: Fun Veggies
- How much would you pay for your own Tyrannosaurus?
- Canada's yearbook: Send us your graduation photo
- Should the Quebec government suspend classes?
- Should a sex exhibit be pulled from Ottawa's science museum?
- Skechers ordered to pay $40M over deceptive 'Shape-ups' ads
- CBC's Derek Stoffel on staying professional and stomaching injustice
- Hungry man protests all-you-can-eat restaurant
- Should government seek clemency for Canadians on death row?
- Ugly Meter app worries cyber bullying activists
- And the winner of our April showers photo contest is...
- What would you add to Avery Canahuati's bucket list?
- Who is Titanic II backer Clive Palmer?
- Trending April 30: Titanic II, Conrad Black
- Should Conrad Black regain his Canadian citizenship?
- CBC's David McKie on investigative reporting
- Should rooftop missiles be installed for London Olympics security?
- Obama and Kimmel high-five at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- March photo contest: the winner!
- Shatner-hosted 2012 Juno Awards inspire fanfare
- 10 readers share their Katimavik stories
- Katimavik defended 26 years after Hébert hunger strike
- Earth Hour, Mega Millions, angry 'Beliebers' in morning trends
- Maple syrup hoarders prepare for shortage
- Top 5 at 5: CBC North
- Would bigger tax exemptions encourage you to shop across the border?
- What were your happiest years?
- Should charities lose their status for protesting?
- Community reaction to the Pierre Poutine revelations
- Top 5 at 5: Business stories
- Lady Gaga and Oprah Winfrey launch anti-bullying foundation
- Davy Jones honoured by fans on social media
- February photo contest: the winner!
- Women take the leap and propose marriage on Feb. 29
- Community reaction to closing of high Arctic lab
- Would you freeze-dry a deceased pet?
- U.S. storm watchers swap stories on social media
- Should Canada create an asbestos registry?
- January photo contest: the winner
- Top 5 at 5: Montreal stories
- Should Peru's uncontacted tribes be left alone?
- Is Ashton Kutcher right to block journalists from his Twitter feed?
- Would you wear Dress Pant Sweatpants in your workplace?
- Where do you donate your used clothing?
- Could a UN resolution help end Syria's unrest?
- Top 5 at 5: Politics stories
- Do you trust a camel that predicts Super Bowl winners?
- Community reaction to the Shafia trial verdict
- May (102)