The Poker Face singer was an early adopter of the social networking website when she joined Twitter in March 2008. She has held the top Twitter spot since taking the title from Britney Spears in 2010.
Unlike some celebrities whose managers do the tweeting, Gaga has claimed to maintain her Twitter presence personally, using it to interact with fans, post announcements about tours and releases, and share pictures.
Data from Twitter Counter, a website that tracks Twitter statistics, show Gaga's follower growth rate is consistently higher than that of Bieber, who is about two million followers behind.
In addition to her Twitter following, Gaga has nearly 49 million fans on Facebook.
The top five people most followed on Twitter all come from pop music.
1. Lady Gaga - 20,193,595
2. Justin Bieber - 18,143,515
Listening to HAIR, singing into hairbrush. I think I forgot I'm a pop singer for 5 whole minutes + then remembered I GET TO TOUR THIS SHIZ!-- Lady Gaga (@ladygaga) February 22, 2012
3. Katy Perry - 15,786,523
i dont plan on ever losing any fans. young or old. only gaining more and more respect. MJ never left the kids he just grew with them.-- Justin Bieber (@justinbieber) March 5, 2012
5. Rihanna - 14,539,163
I just saved a ladybug's life...It think it will be a good day! Shak twitter.com/shakira/status...-- Shakira (@shakira) March 6, 2012
Literally craawwwled to the plane! NO SLEEP!!! #AreWeThereYet-- Rihanna (@rihanna) March 1, 2012
(This survey is not scientific. Results are based on readers' responses.)
More entries for category: Community
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Andrea Lee-Greenberg, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
More Your Community Entries
- 2012 (1150)
- Online dater sends out awkward post-date survey
- Should Nik Wallenda use a safety device to cross Niagara Falls?
- May photo contest: Fun Veggies
- How much would you pay for your own Tyrannosaurus?
- Canada's yearbook: Send us your graduation photo
- Should the Quebec government suspend classes?
- Should a sex exhibit be pulled from Ottawa's science museum?
- Skechers ordered to pay $40M over deceptive 'Shape-ups' ads
- CBC's Derek Stoffel on staying professional and stomaching injustice
- Hungry man protests all-you-can-eat restaurant
- Should government seek clemency for Canadians on death row?
- Ugly Meter app worries cyber bullying activists
- And the winner of our April showers photo contest is...
- What would you add to Avery Canahuati's bucket list?
- Who is Titanic II backer Clive Palmer?
- Trending April 30: Titanic II, Conrad Black
- Should Conrad Black regain his Canadian citizenship?
- CBC's David McKie on investigative reporting
- Should rooftop missiles be installed for London Olympics security?
- Obama and Kimmel high-five at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- March photo contest: the winner!
- Shatner-hosted 2012 Juno Awards inspire fanfare
- 10 readers share their Katimavik stories
- Katimavik defended 26 years after Hébert hunger strike
- Earth Hour, Mega Millions, angry 'Beliebers' in morning trends
- Maple syrup hoarders prepare for shortage
- Top 5 at 5: CBC North
- Would bigger tax exemptions encourage you to shop across the border?
- What were your happiest years?
- Should charities lose their status for protesting?
- Community reaction to the Pierre Poutine revelations
- Top 5 at 5: Business stories
- Lady Gaga and Oprah Winfrey launch anti-bullying foundation
- Davy Jones honoured by fans on social media
- February photo contest: the winner!
- Women take the leap and propose marriage on Feb. 29
- Community reaction to closing of high Arctic lab
- Would you freeze-dry a deceased pet?
- U.S. storm watchers swap stories on social media
- Should Canada create an asbestos registry?
- January photo contest: the winner
- Top 5 at 5: Montreal stories
- Should Peru's uncontacted tribes be left alone?
- Is Ashton Kutcher right to block journalists from his Twitter feed?
- Would you wear Dress Pant Sweatpants in your workplace?
- Where do you donate your used clothing?
- Could a UN resolution help end Syria's unrest?
- Top 5 at 5: Politics stories
- Do you trust a camel that predicts Super Bowl winners?
- Community reaction to the Shafia trial verdict
- May (102)