What is your favourite Berenstain Bears book?
Categories: Arts & Entertainment
Members of the CBC Community sent their condolences after reading the news that Jan Berenstain, who with her husband Stan wrote and illustrated the Berenstain Bears books, died Friday.
Berenstain, a longtime resident of Solebury in southeastern Pennsylvania, suffered a severe stroke on Thursday and died Friday without regaining consciousness, her son Mike Berenstain said. She was 88.
Members of the CBC Community recalled their memories of reading the Berenstain's books, either with their children or when they were children themselves.
- "I'm glad she lived a long life but it's still sad she had to go. Bye Momma Bear." - Ms ColdCanada
- "Oh what sad news. I grew up on the Berenstain Bears and have looked forward to the day when I could share these books with my kids. What a wonderful legacy they've behind. They will be greatly missed." - chelsebelle
- "Thank you for the delight of reading the Big "B" Book." - Soundingboard39
- "R.I.P. and thank you for a job well done. My kids had several of these books. The one I remember that had the most use was about bringing a new baby home. These books are among the favourites we stored away so that in the fullness of time, they can entertain and teach another generation of my family in the happy event grandchildren ever arrive." - Canajunlady
- "Of all the bedtime stories I read my son when he was younger, this series had by far the most staying power. Other series came and went that were popular because of TV or a movie, but the bears were a constant. Of the ones we owned, they got read dozens of times. His favorite was The Spooky Old Tree. Even at 10 years old he still refers to that particular story at Halloween." - BarryWest
What is your favourite Berenstain Bears book? Take our poll, then share your favourite books, television episodes and other memories in the comments section below.
(This survey is not scientific. Results are based on readers' responses.)
More entries for category: Arts & Entertainment
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Andrea Lee-Greenberg, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
More Your Community Entries
- 2012 (1150)
- Online dater sends out awkward post-date survey
- Should Nik Wallenda use a safety device to cross Niagara Falls?
- May photo contest: Fun Veggies
- How much would you pay for your own Tyrannosaurus?
- Canada's yearbook: Send us your graduation photo
- Should the Quebec government suspend classes?
- Should a sex exhibit be pulled from Ottawa's science museum?
- Skechers ordered to pay $40M over deceptive 'Shape-ups' ads
- CBC's Derek Stoffel on staying professional and stomaching injustice
- Hungry man protests all-you-can-eat restaurant
- Should government seek clemency for Canadians on death row?
- Ugly Meter app worries cyber bullying activists
- And the winner of our April showers photo contest is...
- What would you add to Avery Canahuati's bucket list?
- Who is Titanic II backer Clive Palmer?
- Trending April 30: Titanic II, Conrad Black
- Should Conrad Black regain his Canadian citizenship?
- CBC's David McKie on investigative reporting
- Should rooftop missiles be installed for London Olympics security?
- Obama and Kimmel high-five at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- March photo contest: the winner!
- Shatner-hosted 2012 Juno Awards inspire fanfare
- 10 readers share their Katimavik stories
- Katimavik defended 26 years after Hébert hunger strike
- Earth Hour, Mega Millions, angry 'Beliebers' in morning trends
- Maple syrup hoarders prepare for shortage
- Top 5 at 5: CBC North
- Would bigger tax exemptions encourage you to shop across the border?
- What were your happiest years?
- Should charities lose their status for protesting?
- Community reaction to the Pierre Poutine revelations
- Top 5 at 5: Business stories
- Lady Gaga and Oprah Winfrey launch anti-bullying foundation
- Davy Jones honoured by fans on social media
- February photo contest: the winner!
- Women take the leap and propose marriage on Feb. 29
- Community reaction to closing of high Arctic lab
- Would you freeze-dry a deceased pet?
- U.S. storm watchers swap stories on social media
- Should Canada create an asbestos registry?
- January photo contest: the winner
- Top 5 at 5: Montreal stories
- Should Peru's uncontacted tribes be left alone?
- Is Ashton Kutcher right to block journalists from his Twitter feed?
- Would you wear Dress Pant Sweatpants in your workplace?
- Where do you donate your used clothing?
- Could a UN resolution help end Syria's unrest?
- Top 5 at 5: Politics stories
- Do you trust a camel that predicts Super Bowl winners?
- Community reaction to the Shafia trial verdict
- May (102)