Cherry called three former NHLers who spoke out against some of the brutality in the sport, "pukes" and "hypocrites."
"You guys were fighters, and now you don't want guys to make the same living you did," he said on Coach's Corners.
Readers rallied behind the former hockey players and had some fighting words of their own for the colourful commentator.
- "[This] rant and his rage displayed in this video is very representative of the atmosphere that drove me away from hockey," said FredericL.
- "Perhaps Don has had one too many concussions," wrote JGratton.
- "Don Cherry to me is one of the most despicable sports commentator that I've ever heard in my 71 years. I remember way back how he was anti-Russian and how he has always been anti-French," wrote dupcess.
The debate also turned to fighting in hockey, which had readers a little more divided.
- "Hockey is the greatest of games. It's fast and there is a great deal of strategy and talent in it. Fighting and Don Cherry both wreck the sport," echoed Britt Ried.
- "If I want to see a fight I'll watch MMA," offered heybigbrother.
- "As a kid in the 50s hockey was great. They had fights , no helmets or masks and no one got hurt as bad as it is now. I they fought like that on the street in public they would be arrested and charged," shares budzksi42.
- "With the speed those guys hit each other I could see how it could set any players temper off on a bad night. In that sense I think fighting is probably a natural consequence of hockey if not a strategic neccesity," delirius.
- "There can be hockey with minimal fighting, but to have the idea that it will be eliminated isn't realistic," said manitoban74.
We polled the CBC community and 66 per cent of the 600 voters feel hockey should ban fighting. What do you think?
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Andrea Lee-Greenberg, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
More Your Community Entries
- 2012 (1150)
- Should the Quebec government suspend classes?
- Do you agree with the police watchdog's G20 report recommendations?
- Online dater sends out awkward post-date survey
- Should Nik Wallenda use a safety device to cross Niagara Falls?
- May photo contest: Fun Veggies
- How much would you pay for your own Tyrannosaurus?
- Canada's yearbook: Send us your graduation photo
- Should a sex exhibit be pulled from Ottawa's science museum?
- Skechers ordered to pay $40M over deceptive 'Shape-ups' ads
- CBC's Derek Stoffel on staying professional and stomaching injustice
- Should government seek clemency for Canadians on death row?
- Ugly Meter app worries cyber bullying activists
- And the winner of our April showers photo contest is...
- What would you add to Avery Canahuati's bucket list?
- Who is Titanic II backer Clive Palmer?
- Trending April 30: Titanic II, Conrad Black
- Should Conrad Black regain his Canadian citizenship?
- CBC's David McKie on investigative reporting
- Should rooftop missiles be installed for London Olympics security?
- Obama and Kimmel high-five at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- March photo contest: the winner!
- Shatner-hosted 2012 Juno Awards inspire fanfare
- 10 readers share their Katimavik stories
- Katimavik defended 26 years after Hébert hunger strike
- Earth Hour, Mega Millions, angry 'Beliebers' in morning trends
- Maple syrup hoarders prepare for shortage
- Top 5 at 5: CBC North
- Would bigger tax exemptions encourage you to shop across the border?
- What were your happiest years?
- Should charities lose their status for protesting?
- Community reaction to the Pierre Poutine revelations
- Top 5 at 5: Business stories
- Lady Gaga and Oprah Winfrey launch anti-bullying foundation
- Davy Jones honoured by fans on social media
- February photo contest: the winner!
- Women take the leap and propose marriage on Feb. 29
- Community reaction to closing of high Arctic lab
- Would you freeze-dry a deceased pet?
- U.S. storm watchers swap stories on social media
- Should Canada create an asbestos registry?
- January photo contest: the winner
- Top 5 at 5: Montreal stories
- Should Peru's uncontacted tribes be left alone?
- Is Ashton Kutcher right to block journalists from his Twitter feed?
- Would you wear Dress Pant Sweatpants in your workplace?
- Where do you donate your used clothing?
- Could a UN resolution help end Syria's unrest?
- Top 5 at 5: Politics stories
- Do you trust a camel that predicts Super Bowl winners?
- Community reaction to the Shafia trial verdict
- May (102)