Your royal encounters of yesteryear
We asked you to send in photos of your royal encounters, and you sent us some wonderful images spanning the decades of royal visits to Canada, and Canadians visiting the U.K.
Check out some of the remarkable pictures in the gallery above.
You also shared memorable stories and some of your favourite anecdotes.
Read some of your royal encounters below!
Salam Kahil shares, "In 1986 I met princess Diana and prince Charles at Christ Church cathedral on Georgia St in Vancouver. As a matter of fact I still have the Church program for that service. Hoping to meet the children someday."
Linda Harrison remembers an interesting chance encounter with Queen Elizabeth!
"When I was a young child living in Winnipeg, Manitoba, I was visiting my grandparents at their home on Borebank Avenue. I was playing outside in the front yard with my cousins and aunt and uncle. To our great surprise a large black automobile drove by very slowly directly in front of my grandparents' house and we could clearly see Princess Elizabeth and Prince Phillip in the back seat ... Their driver and assistant clearly were studying a map and it was apparent they were completely lost."
Betty Buley of Summerside, P.E.I., recounts a memorable encounter with the Duke and Duchess of York many years ago.
"As a member of the Summerside Community Choir, I had the great honour of performing on stage for the Duke and Duchess of York, Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson on July 17th, 1989 ... It was very exciting to sing 'The Island Hymn' for them ...
It was all very memorable," she shares.
Denise Weigum wrote to us about Prince Charles and Lady Diana's visit to New Brunswick in 1983.
"Several of my friends and I gathered in front of the church they were to attend at 11:00 a.m. We waited from 4:30 in the morning in the rain until they exited the church. They walked to greet the crowd and we were up front and had the opportunity to get some great pictures," wrote Denise.
Donna Parker of Charlottetown, P.E.I. remembers her husband's meeting with Prince Charles.
"We were there with our two small children, who were most thrilled to see Britannia, the royal yacht," wrote Donna.
"My husband, Rick, shook hands with Prince Charles ... He also had a 'several sentences' conversation with him, but can only recall it being about the weather," she added.
Jennifer Gibson remembers with glee, the time she met Princess Diana in Kingston, Ont.
"In 1991, I travelled by myself on the train from Oshawa, Ont., to Kingston to meet with some of my aunts, to line up to see Princess Diana, Prince Charles and the boys. It was such an exciting trip and I will remember it forever," she wrote.
Jena Leung wrote to tell us about her Canada Day meeting with the Queen in 2004, not in Canada, but in the U.K.
Share your story with us today. We're looking for your photos, videos and stories of your encounter.
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Andrea Lee-Greenberg, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
More Your Community Entries
- 2012 (1155)
- Should dogs and cats be taxed?
- May photo contest: Daisy macro
- Your take: A Harley Davidson lost in the tsunami changed my life
- Reaction to the law on Quebec protests
- Was Montreal right to ban masks during public protests?
- Nude Harper painting gets chilly online reception
- Should the Quebec government suspend classes?
- Do you agree with the police watchdog's G20 report recommendations?
- Online dater sends out awkward post-date survey
- Should Nik Wallenda use a safety device to cross Niagara Falls?
- Should government seek clemency for Canadians on death row?
- Ugly Meter app worries cyber bullying activists
- And the winner of our April showers photo contest is...
- What would you add to Avery Canahuati's bucket list?
- Who is Titanic II backer Clive Palmer?
- Trending April 30: Titanic II, Conrad Black
- Should Conrad Black regain his Canadian citizenship?
- CBC's David McKie on investigative reporting
- Should rooftop missiles be installed for London Olympics security?
- Obama and Kimmel high-five at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- March photo contest: the winner!
- Shatner-hosted 2012 Juno Awards inspire fanfare
- 10 readers share their Katimavik stories
- Katimavik defended 26 years after Hébert hunger strike
- Earth Hour, Mega Millions, angry 'Beliebers' in morning trends
- Maple syrup hoarders prepare for shortage
- Top 5 at 5: CBC North
- Would bigger tax exemptions encourage you to shop across the border?
- What were your happiest years?
- Should charities lose their status for protesting?
- Community reaction to the Pierre Poutine revelations
- Top 5 at 5: Business stories
- Lady Gaga and Oprah Winfrey launch anti-bullying foundation
- Davy Jones honoured by fans on social media
- February photo contest: the winner!
- Women take the leap and propose marriage on Feb. 29
- Community reaction to closing of high Arctic lab
- Would you freeze-dry a deceased pet?
- U.S. storm watchers swap stories on social media
- Should Canada create an asbestos registry?
- January photo contest: the winner
- Top 5 at 5: Montreal stories
- Should Peru's uncontacted tribes be left alone?
- Is Ashton Kutcher right to block journalists from his Twitter feed?
- Would you wear Dress Pant Sweatpants in your workplace?
- Where do you donate your used clothing?
- Could a UN resolution help end Syria's unrest?
- Top 5 at 5: Politics stories
- Do you trust a camel that predicts Super Bowl winners?
- Community reaction to the Shafia trial verdict
- May (107)