Vancouver tourism: Will the riots affect summer tourism?
Men stand on a flipped car. (Submitted by Ran Z)
Footage of rioting, smashed store windows, and burning cars in downtown Vancouver following the Stanley Cup final have reached international audiences and has prompted a discussion about whether the city's image and tourism industry will be affected.
Many CBCNews.ca community members thought the riots would dissuade tourists from visiting Vancouver.
- James 63 noted that the violent images were seen worldwide. "Good luck with your tourist industry... A shameful day for B.C. and all of Canada."
- "I guess you can kiss your tourist season goodbye," agreed cappigwar.
- Littlegoose agreed. "From the glory of the Olympics to the shame of Stanley Cup riots. It's going to be a quiet summer in Vancouver as tourists avoid the city."
phenoix wondered if people would want to visit Vancouver anymore. "Will professional sporting events avoid Vancouver in the future? How many will want to make Vancouver a tourist destination after this?"
Many commenters said they wouldn't go anytime soon.
- "Is this the kind of city I want to spend vacation dollars on this summer?" asked SNAFOO.
- Comatose still thinks it's a beautiful city, but... "I think I'll go elsewhere for my vacation."
- Swarlie now never wants to visit Vancouver. "What happened last night was disgraceful and will most certainly affect tourism."
But, not everyone was willing to scrap Vancouver as a tourist destination.
"Won't hold up my trip," wrote pella_rod87. "I'm heading to Vancouver in 4 days with some friends."
Has the riot changed your impressions of Vancouver? Do you think the city's tourism will decline this summer? Let us know in the comments below.
(This survey is not scientific. It is based on readers' responses.)
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Andrea Lee-Greenberg, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
More Your Community Entries
- 2012 (1155)
- Should dogs and cats be taxed?
- May photo contest: Daisy macro
- Your take: A Harley Davidson lost in the tsunami changed my life
- Reaction to the law on Quebec protests
- Was Montreal right to ban masks during public protests?
- Nude Harper painting gets chilly online reception
- Should the Quebec government suspend classes?
- Do you agree with the police watchdog's G20 report recommendations?
- Online dater sends out awkward post-date survey
- Should Nik Wallenda use a safety device to cross Niagara Falls?
- Should government seek clemency for Canadians on death row?
- Ugly Meter app worries cyber bullying activists
- And the winner of our April showers photo contest is...
- What would you add to Avery Canahuati's bucket list?
- Who is Titanic II backer Clive Palmer?
- Trending April 30: Titanic II, Conrad Black
- Should Conrad Black regain his Canadian citizenship?
- CBC's David McKie on investigative reporting
- Should rooftop missiles be installed for London Olympics security?
- Obama and Kimmel high-five at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- March photo contest: the winner!
- Shatner-hosted 2012 Juno Awards inspire fanfare
- 10 readers share their Katimavik stories
- Katimavik defended 26 years after Hébert hunger strike
- Earth Hour, Mega Millions, angry 'Beliebers' in morning trends
- Maple syrup hoarders prepare for shortage
- Top 5 at 5: CBC North
- Would bigger tax exemptions encourage you to shop across the border?
- What were your happiest years?
- Should charities lose their status for protesting?
- Community reaction to the Pierre Poutine revelations
- Top 5 at 5: Business stories
- Lady Gaga and Oprah Winfrey launch anti-bullying foundation
- Davy Jones honoured by fans on social media
- February photo contest: the winner!
- Women take the leap and propose marriage on Feb. 29
- Community reaction to closing of high Arctic lab
- Would you freeze-dry a deceased pet?
- U.S. storm watchers swap stories on social media
- Should Canada create an asbestos registry?
- January photo contest: the winner
- Top 5 at 5: Montreal stories
- Should Peru's uncontacted tribes be left alone?
- Is Ashton Kutcher right to block journalists from his Twitter feed?
- Would you wear Dress Pant Sweatpants in your workplace?
- Where do you donate your used clothing?
- Could a UN resolution help end Syria's unrest?
- Top 5 at 5: Politics stories
- Do you trust a camel that predicts Super Bowl winners?
- Community reaction to the Shafia trial verdict
- May (107)