Conservative Campaign: What do you think of the appeal for "ethnic costumes" by one Tory staffer?
A Conservative staff member sent an e-mail asking supporters to dress in 'ethnic costume' for a Harper rally in Etobicoke Thursday. (Sean Kilpatrick/Canadian Press)
By CBC News
Khaled Mouamar, Canadian Arab Federation president, received an email Tuesday from a Conservative campaign staffer in Toronto asking for "representation from the Arab community" for a Thursday visit from Stephen Harper.
The email went on to ask for "cultural groups to participate by having someone at the event in ethnic costume." It stated it was for a "photo-op about all the multicultural groups that support Ted Opitz our local Conservative candidate and the Prime Minister," and was signed by Zeljko (Zed) Zidaric, a member of the Tory campaign for the Etobicoke Centre riding.
The request quickly drew criticism as it made the rounds on blogs and via emails on Wednesday.
"The email was sent by a campaign staffer without my knowledge. I do not support its characterization or intent," Conservative candidate Ted Opitz said in an email.
Zidaric could not be reached for comment.
The Conservative Party has aggressively courted votes from minority groups in hopes of taking ridings from the Liberals and gaining a majority.
What do you think of the appeal for "ethnic costumes" by one Tory staff member? Do you think the Tories will have the ethnic vote come election time? Please provide comments below.
(This survey is not scientific. It is based on readers' responses.)
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Andrea Lee-Greenberg, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
More Your Community Entries
- 2012 (1155)
- Should dogs and cats be taxed?
- May photo contest: Daisy macro
- Your take: A Harley Davidson lost in the tsunami changed my life
- Reaction to the law on Quebec protests
- Was Montreal right to ban masks during public protests?
- Nude Harper painting gets chilly online reception
- Should the Quebec government suspend classes?
- Do you agree with the police watchdog's G20 report recommendations?
- Online dater sends out awkward post-date survey
- Should Nik Wallenda use a safety device to cross Niagara Falls?
- Should government seek clemency for Canadians on death row?
- Ugly Meter app worries cyber bullying activists
- And the winner of our April showers photo contest is...
- What would you add to Avery Canahuati's bucket list?
- Who is Titanic II backer Clive Palmer?
- Trending April 30: Titanic II, Conrad Black
- Should Conrad Black regain his Canadian citizenship?
- CBC's David McKie on investigative reporting
- Should rooftop missiles be installed for London Olympics security?
- Obama and Kimmel high-five at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- March photo contest: the winner!
- Shatner-hosted 2012 Juno Awards inspire fanfare
- 10 readers share their Katimavik stories
- Katimavik defended 26 years after Hébert hunger strike
- Earth Hour, Mega Millions, angry 'Beliebers' in morning trends
- Maple syrup hoarders prepare for shortage
- Top 5 at 5: CBC North
- Would bigger tax exemptions encourage you to shop across the border?
- What were your happiest years?
- Should charities lose their status for protesting?
- Community reaction to the Pierre Poutine revelations
- Top 5 at 5: Business stories
- Lady Gaga and Oprah Winfrey launch anti-bullying foundation
- Davy Jones honoured by fans on social media
- February photo contest: the winner!
- Women take the leap and propose marriage on Feb. 29
- Community reaction to closing of high Arctic lab
- Would you freeze-dry a deceased pet?
- U.S. storm watchers swap stories on social media
- Should Canada create an asbestos registry?
- January photo contest: the winner
- Top 5 at 5: Montreal stories
- Should Peru's uncontacted tribes be left alone?
- Is Ashton Kutcher right to block journalists from his Twitter feed?
- Would you wear Dress Pant Sweatpants in your workplace?
- Where do you donate your used clothing?
- Could a UN resolution help end Syria's unrest?
- Top 5 at 5: Politics stories
- Do you trust a camel that predicts Super Bowl winners?
- Community reaction to the Shafia trial verdict
- May (107)