Elizabeth Taylor dies: Which of her films is your favourite?
Categories: Arts & Entertainment
Elizabeth Taylor, attending a play in Los Angeles in December 2007. (Mario Anzuoni/Reuters)
By CBC News
Elizabeth Taylor, one of Hollywood's greatest stars, has died at 79.
Taylor died Wednesday in Los Angeles, where she had been treated in hospital for congestive heart failure.
One of the last remaining stars from the Hollywood studio system, Taylor rose to fame as a teen, in roles like National Velvet, and went on to have a lengthy and impressive film career.
She displayed considerable dramatic chops in material ranging from the screen adaptation of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof to her role as a call girl in Butterfield 8 (which won her the first of her two Oscars).
The actress was equally beloved in her off-screen life. She attracted attention for her one-of-a-kind lilac eyes, her tempestuous love affair with Richard Burton and her ability to overcome numerous tragedies, including the death of one-time husband Mike Todd.
Later in life, Taylor reinvented herself as a tireless and passionate philanthropist, who raised millions for AIDS-related causes and eventually formed her own charity, the Elizabeth Taylor Foundation.
Share your memories and impressions of Elizabeth Taylor in the comments below. What will you remember best about her? Which of her films is your favourite?
(This survey is not scientific. Its results are based on readers' responses.)
More entries for category: Arts & Entertainment
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Andrea Lee-Greenberg, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
More Your Community Entries
- 2012 (1155)
- Should dogs and cats be taxed?
- May photo contest: Daisy macro
- Your take: A Harley Davidson lost in the tsunami changed my life
- Reaction to the law on Quebec protests
- Was Montreal right to ban masks during public protests?
- Nude Harper painting gets chilly online reception
- Should the Quebec government suspend classes?
- Do you agree with the police watchdog's G20 report recommendations?
- Online dater sends out awkward post-date survey
- Should Nik Wallenda use a safety device to cross Niagara Falls?
- Should government seek clemency for Canadians on death row?
- Ugly Meter app worries cyber bullying activists
- And the winner of our April showers photo contest is...
- What would you add to Avery Canahuati's bucket list?
- Who is Titanic II backer Clive Palmer?
- Trending April 30: Titanic II, Conrad Black
- Should Conrad Black regain his Canadian citizenship?
- CBC's David McKie on investigative reporting
- Should rooftop missiles be installed for London Olympics security?
- Obama and Kimmel high-five at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- March photo contest: the winner!
- Shatner-hosted 2012 Juno Awards inspire fanfare
- 10 readers share their Katimavik stories
- Katimavik defended 26 years after Hébert hunger strike
- Earth Hour, Mega Millions, angry 'Beliebers' in morning trends
- Maple syrup hoarders prepare for shortage
- Top 5 at 5: CBC North
- Would bigger tax exemptions encourage you to shop across the border?
- What were your happiest years?
- Should charities lose their status for protesting?
- Community reaction to the Pierre Poutine revelations
- Top 5 at 5: Business stories
- Lady Gaga and Oprah Winfrey launch anti-bullying foundation
- Davy Jones honoured by fans on social media
- February photo contest: the winner!
- Women take the leap and propose marriage on Feb. 29
- Community reaction to closing of high Arctic lab
- Would you freeze-dry a deceased pet?
- U.S. storm watchers swap stories on social media
- Should Canada create an asbestos registry?
- January photo contest: the winner
- Top 5 at 5: Montreal stories
- Should Peru's uncontacted tribes be left alone?
- Is Ashton Kutcher right to block journalists from his Twitter feed?
- Would you wear Dress Pant Sweatpants in your workplace?
- Where do you donate your used clothing?
- Could a UN resolution help end Syria's unrest?
- Top 5 at 5: Politics stories
- Do you trust a camel that predicts Super Bowl winners?
- Community reaction to the Shafia trial verdict
- May (107)