Notifications

U.K. phone hacking trial ends with no verdict on remaining charges

A judge on Wednesday dismisses the jury at Britain's phone-hacking trial after it fails to reach a verdict on two final counts, having convicted a former editor of hacking a day earlier.

Judge dismisses jury, ends trial, after no verdict on charges against Andy Coulson, Clive Goodman

Former News of the World editor Andy Coulson arrives at the Old Bailey courthouse in London today. After a conviction on phone-hacking charges Tuesday, further charges against him and former Royals editor Clive Goodman ended in a hung jury, finishing the trial. (Neil Hall/Reuters)

A judge on Wednesday dismissed the jury at Britain's phone-hacking trial after it failed to reach a verdict on two final counts, having convicted a former editor of hacking a day earlier.

Judge John Saunders ended the trial after jurors said they could not agree whether former News of the World editor Andy Coulson and ex-royal editor Clive Goodman were guilty of paying police officers for royal phone directories.

On Tuesday the jury unanimously convicted Coulson of conspiring to hack phones. Ex-editor Rebekah Brooks and four others were acquitted.

Prosecutors said they would announce on Monday whether they would seek a retrial.

Coulson, who served as Prime Minister David Cameron's spin doctor between 2007 and 2011, faces up to two years in jail on the hacking charge.

The jury of eight women and three men deliberated for eight days, after a trial lasting almost eight months that drew intense interest from around the world.

Saunders told the 11 jurors that the country owed them "a great debt of gratitude," and exempted them from further jury service for life.

The trial — one of the longest and most expensive in British history — was triggered by revelations that the Rupert Murdoch-owned News of the World had routinely eavesdropped on the voicemails of politicians, celebrities and others in the public eye.

Coulson's lawyers repeatedly sought to have the case dismissed, arguing that their client could not receive a fair trial given the vast amount of comment and speculation about the case.

Their latest attempt came Wednesday, after Prime Minister David Cameron made a televised apology for hiring Coulson.

Saunders said he wrote to Cameron's private secretary seeking an explanation "as to why he had issued his statement when the jury were still considering verdicts."

The judge did not throw out the case but said it was "unsatisfactory so far as justice and the rule of law are concerned … when politicians regard it as open season."

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.