Florida sinkhole home being demolished
Search for homeowner called off
The Associated Press
Posted: Mar 3, 2013 11:04 AM ET
Last Updated: Mar 3, 2013 11:02 AM ET
A six-metre wide opening of a sinkhole is mostly covered by the house in Seffner, Florida. (Chris O'Meara/Associated Press)
Related
Related Stories
Crews with heavy equipment on Sunday began the demolition of a Florida home over a huge sinkhole where a man is presumed dead after being swallowed by the earth three days ago.
The search for Jeff Bush, 37, was called off Saturday, and a heavy machine with a large bucket scoop was moved into position Sunday on what was believed to be solid ground.
The six-metre-wide opening of the sinkhole was almost covered by the house, and rescuers said there were no signs of life since the hole opened Thursday night.
Jeremy Bush, the man who tried to save his brother, was escorted with a woman by a deputy to the front of the house early Sunday before equipment moved into position. He repositioned some flowers from a makeshift memorial to a safer location, where Bush and the unidentified women knelt in prayer.
Jeremy Bush jumped into the sinkhole to try and save his brother Jeffrey, who is presumed dead. (Chris O'Meara/Associated Perss)People gathered on lawn chairs, bundled up with blankets against unusually chilly weather. Several dozen milled about within view, including officials and reporters.
Hillsborough County Administrator Mike Merrill said officials had talked to Bush family Sunday. Crews would try their best to move the structure forward, toward the street, so the family can get some belongings, Merrill said.
"We don't know, in fact, whether it will collapse or whether it will hold up," he said.
He said crews' goal for Sunday is to knock down the house, and on Monday they will clear the debris as much as possible to allow officials and engineers to see the sinkhole in the open.
Demolition paused Sunday later morning as firefighters just outside the home went through belongings found inside, putting items such as books, binders and what looked like photo albums into boxes. They gestured to the Bush family, positioned across the street, as they sorted the items.
The Rev. John Martin Bell of Shoals Baptist Church said he had been with the Bush family all morning. "We just prayed with them," he said, adding that the family hopes to salvage keepsakes such as photographs.
Bell said all five who lived in the house — Jeremy Bush, 35; his girlfriend, Rachel Wicker, 27; their daughter, Hannah, 2; and two others ages 50 and 45 — were in need of support and prayers from the community.
Jeff Bush was in his bedroom Thursday night in Seffner — a suburb of 8,000 people 15 miles east of downtown Tampa — when the ground opened and took him and everything else in his room. Five others in the house escape unharmed as the earth crumbled.
The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office is conducting the investigation.
Detective Larry McKinnon said that sheriff's office and the county medical examiner cannot declare Bush dead if his body is still missing. Under Florida law, Bush's family must petition a court to declare him deceased.
"Based on the circumstances, he's presumed dead, however the official death certificate can only be issued by a judge and the family has to petition the court," McKinnon said.
Share Tools
Top News Headlines
- Body of man found in home where police officer was killed
- The lifeless body of a man has been found inside a home in northern Quebec, ending a 17-hour standoff that left one police officer dead and another seriously injured on Saturday night. more »
- Pakistan bomb outside mosque kills 37
- Police say a car bomb has killed at least 37 people and wounded another 141 in a neighborhood dominated by Shia Muslims in the southern Pakistan city of Karachi. more »
- Liberal MPs Murray and Garneau challenge frontrunner Trudeau
- In the fourth of five federal Liberal leadership debates, carried live on CBC News Network, eight candidates made a last-ditch effort to shore up support for their campaigns. more »
- Canadian film, TV in spotlight for final Screen Awards gala
- The inaugural Canadian Screen Awards ramp up to a big finale Sunday evening with a televised gala hosted by comedian Martin Short and a final batch of awards largely focusing on cinematic achievements. more »
Latest World News Headlines
- Assad attacks 'naive' U.K. approach to Syria
- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has accused the West of siding with "terrorists" and using bullying tactics as his regime battles a two-year uprising. more »
- Pakistan bomb outside mosque kills 37
- Police say a car bomb has killed at least 37 people and wounded another 141 in a neighborhood dominated by Shia Muslims in the southern Pakistan city of Karachi. more »
- Retrial of Egypt's Mubarak set for April 13
- Egypt's state news agency says the retrial of ousted president Hosni Mubarak on charges related to the killings of protesters during the uprising against him will begin April 13. more »
- Florida sinkhole home being demolished
- Crews with heavy equipment on Sunday began the demolition of a Florida home over a huge sinkhole where a man is presumed dead after being swallowed by the earth three days ago. more »
The National
The Current
- Why internet addiction is a controversial diagnosis Mar. 1, 2013 2:33 PM Why some health professionals believe Internet Use Disorder should be recognized in the same way other addictions are.
- Officer shot dead in northern Quebec ID'd, standoff ongoing
- Surrey Liberals call for B.C. Premier's resignation
- Queen in hospital with stomach ailment
- Iceland tests find meat pies contain no meat at all
- Dragon capsule docks at space station
- Westjet strands flyers in Moncton during March break
- Italian coffee shop in Montreal in trouble with language watchdog
- Florida sinkhole threatens neighbouring homes
- B.C. Liberals grapple with resignations amid 'ethnic vote' conflict

