Horsemeat scandal prompts calls for emergency testing
European Union nations propose testing 6,500 beef samples
The Associated Press
Posted: Feb 13, 2013 5:18 PM ET
Last Updated: Feb 13, 2013 8:09 PM ET
Agriculture ministers from EU countries most affected by the scandal over horsemeat found in products labelled as beef met in Brussels on Wednesday. (Yves Logghe/Associated Press)
Related
European Union nations on Wednesday called for more intensive testing for a month to try to contain the scandal in which horsemeat was sold as beef.
The emergency meeting at EU headquarters included nations most affected by the horsemeat scandal that has swept through Europe, with millions of burgers and frozen meals recalled across the continent.
Ireland's Agriculture Minister Simon Coveney suggested the scandal would likely spread further as more countries test beef.
Germany said Wednesday it had received a shipment of tainted frozen meals and Norway pulled products from its stores.
Ireland found horsemeat in burgers last month after routine testing.
"Once we got the positive test and the investigation was under way, obviously other countries followed suit," said Coveney, who chaired the meeting. "As they tested they found that the problem has been getting bigger and bigger."
6,500 beef samples
The nations also proposed that investigations in Ireland, France, the Netherlands and other nations should now be co-ordinated by the EU's Europol law enforcement agency.
"What was clear, was the absolute unity of purpose of the member states to get to the bottom of this," said Britain's Environment Secretary Owen Paterson. "We do not know exactly what has gone wrong."
The testing proposal envisions requiring EU members to test 6,500 beef samples for traces of horsemeat and a harmful equine medicine known as Bute during the month of March. Results would be announced April 15.
'What was clear, was the absolute unity of purpose of the member states to get to the bottom of this.'—Owen Paterson, Britain's environment secretary
The plan will now be considered at a specially called meeting of food and animal health experts on Friday, when the 27 member states are expected to back the call.
Representatives of Britain, Ireland, France, Romania, Poland, Luxembourg and Sweden attended Wednesday's meeting.
In Britain and Ireland there is great sensitivity about eating horse, but that does not exist in other EU nations like France and Belgium.
Germany's agriculture and consumer protection ministry said a shipment of frozen lasagna containing horsemeat was delivered to at least one trader in western Germany.
The Norwegian Food Safety Authority spokesman Kenneth Vikse said Wednesday that leading store chains, Findus and other producers had recalled processed products. Earlier Wednesday, small supermarket chains in neighboring Denmark withdrew lasagna products.
Share Tools
Top News Headlines
- Cardinals begin pre-conclave meetings amid scandal
- Cardinals from around the world gathered inside the Vatican for their first round of meetings before the conclave to elect the next pope, amid scandals inside and out of the Vatican and the continued reverberations of Benedict XVI's decision to retire. more »
- Dad gets $22,000 data roaming 'shock' from Fido
- A B.C. dad is accusing Rogers of price gouging, after his 11-year-old mistakenly racked up $22,000 worth of data charges on his father's phone, during a family trip to Mexico. more »
- Queen remains in hospital after overnight stay
- Queen Elizabeth remains in a London hospital for a second day because of an apparent stomach infection. more »
- Egypt's politician skewer, testing the limits of post-revolution satire
- Meet Egypt's Jon Stewart, a former heart surgeon turned late-night TV host whose biting satire has not endeared him to the country's political class. But, as Nahlah Ayed reports, comedian Bassem Youssef may be the revolution's real star. more »
- Quebec papal contender 'ready' but wary of media spotlight
- Quebec Cardinal Marc Ouellet, who is considered by some to be a leading contender for the Vatican's top post, tells CBC's Peter Mansbridge in an exclusive interview he knows he must be ready to become the next pope as cardinals prepare to select Benedict's successor. more »
Latest World News Headlines
- Kenya election sees long lines and violence
- Multiple attacks against security forces in Kenya today killed at least 12 people as Kenyans waited in long lines to cast ballots five years after more than 1,000 people died in election-related violence. more »
- No endgame in sight for Syria's civil war
- The civil war in Syria seems to be in something of a stalemate, with international peace efforts going nowhere fast. It's still difficult to see signs of an endgame, peace studies prof Paul Rogers tells CBC News. more »
- Egypt's politician skewer, testing the limits of post-revolution satire
- Meet Egypt's Jon Stewart, a former heart surgeon turned late-night TV host whose biting satire has not endeared him to the country's political class. But, as Nahlah Ayed reports, comedian Bassem Youssef may be the revolution's real star. more »
- Baby born HIV-positive apparently cured, say scientists
- A baby born with HIV appears to have been cured, scientists announced Sunday, describing the case of a child from Mississippi who's now 2 ½ and has been off medication for about a year with no signs of infection. more »
The National
The Current
- Why internet addiction is a controversial diagnosis Mar. 1, 2013 2:33 PM Why some health professionals believe Internet Use Disorder should be recognized in the same way other addictions are.
- Baby born HIV-positive apparently cured, say scientists
- Dad gets $22,000 data roaming 'shock' from Fido
- Quebec papal contender 'ready' but wary of media spotlight
- Body of man found in home where police officer was killed
- War Witch triumphs at Canadian Screen Awards gala
- Heavy snow blankets southern Alberta
- Florida sinkhole home mostly demolished
- Expectant NYC couple dies in car crash, baby delivered alive
- Iceland tests find meat pies contain no meat at all

