A seven-year-old boy who had been missing since the Barcelona van attack last Thursday and two others are the latest victims identified by Spanish authorities following the rampage that left 13 people dead and more than 120 wounded.
Julian Cadman, an Australian with dual British nationality, was confirmed Sunday as the child who had become separated from his mother and was reported as missing, said Nacho Solano, of Catalan emergency services. Julian's mother was also seriously wounded and hospitalized.
The other two victims identified Sunday were Belgian and Italian, but Solano said he could not yet name them.
Julian and his mother, a 43-year-old from the Philippines who had been living in Australia, were at a wedding and enjoying the sights when the van sped down the Las Ramblas promenade targeting pedestrians.
"He was so energetic, funny and cheeky, always bringing a smile to our faces," the child's family said in a statement released by the Australian Foreign Affairs Department after his death was announced.
On Friday, Julian's grandfather had posted an appeal on Facebook with Julian's photo asking for help finding him.
A Canadian, Ian Moore Wilson, 53, the father of a Vancouver police officer, was named Friday as one of the 13 killed in Barcelona.
Following a separate car attack eight hours later in a crowded port area of nearby Cambrils, Ana Maria Suarez, 67, of Spain was identified as the only fatality civilian killed before five attackers wearing fake explosive belts were shot to death by police in the seaside town.
- CBC IN BARCELONA | Blood clinics overflowing with donations in wake of attacks in Spain
- ANALYSIS | 'They want to make it seem like the threat is ubiquitous': Barcelona attack echoes familiar ISIS pattern
The Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) has claimed responsibility for both attacks.
Also Sunday, Catalan police Chief Josep Lluis Trapero said investigators believe two people linked to the Barcelona attack died in a rental house when it exploded Wednesday in the coastal town of Alcanar, 200 kilometres south of Barcelona. DNA tests were underway to identify the remains.
Police said there are 12 suspects in the Barcelona attack, and that the investigation is focusing on a missing imam who police think could have died in the house explosion. They say Abdelbaki Es Satty may have radicalized the young men in the extremist cell.
A series of controlled explosions were conducted by police at the site on Saturday after several gas canisters were seen outside the house, which was destroyed in a massive explosion.
Media reports on Sunday quoted police as saying they found more than 120 gas canisters.
'These cowards will not win'
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau spoke on Sunday about the attacks in Spain as well as last the shooting a week ago at a restaurant in Burkina Faso that left 18 people, including two Canadians, dead.
"These recent acts of terror are despicable," Trudeau told reporters in Montreal. "They seek to divide the global community, aiming to pit neighbour against neighbour, stoking fear and mistrust.
"These cowards will not win," he said. "We will continue to do as we have done, standing united and stronger in the face of hatred. We will be emboldened in our values, values of love and acceptance, and strength through diversity. Friends, in the wake of terror, let us never lose sight of who we are."
No previous ties to terrorism
The Catalan police chief told reporters in Barcelona that none of the 12 suspects in the van attack "had precedents that linked them to terrorism, including the imam."
He said one theory is that the group had been planning one or more attacks with explosives in Barcelona. He added officials have no concrete evidence about how a group of young men in the northeastern town of Ripoll were radicalized, though police say Es Satty may have been involved.
- Spain in shock, mourning after attacks in separate cities
- 'They want to make it seem like the threat is ubiquitous': Barcelona attack echoes familiar ISIS pattern
Authorities said the attacks were the work of a cell that had been plotting from the house for more than six months.
Es Satty in June abruptly quit working at a mosque in Ripoll, north of Barcelona, and has not been seen since.
His former mosque denounced the deadly attacks and weeping relatives marched into a Ripoll square on Saturday, tearfully denying any knowledge of the radical plans of their sons and brothers.
Police are also still searching for Younes Abouyaaquoub, a 22-year-old Moroccan. His mother says his younger brother, Hussein, has disappeared, as has the younger brother of one of five radicals slain by police during the Cambrils attack.
Everyone so far known in the cell grew up in Ripoll, a town in the Catalan foothills about 100 kilometres north of Barcelona.
Spanish police have searched nine homes in Ripoll, including Es Satty's, and set up roadblocks. French police carried out extra border checks on people coming in from Spain on the belief that Abouyaaquoub may cross into France or has already.
- 'Pure luck': Edmonton man escaped Spain attack by minutes
- Canadian killed in Barcelona remembered as 'generous, adventurous' man
Even with Abouyaaquoub and others at large, Spanish Interior Minister Juan Ignacio Zoido declared the cell "broken" Saturday. In addition to the five killed by police, four suspects were in custody. He said there was no new imminent threat of attack.
By late Saturday, the Catalan emergency service said 53 attack victims still remained hospitalized, with13 of them in critical condition.
Dignitaries attended a church service in Barcelona on Sunday for victims of the vehicle attacks.
King Felipe VI of Spain and his wife, Letizia, arrived for the mass at Basilica of the Sagrada Familia, along with Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy and the president of Catalonia, Carles Puigdemont.
Later Sunday, fans and players held a minute's silence prior to a soccer match between FC Barcelona and Betis at Camp Nou Stadium.
Before the minute was up, tens of thousands of fans broke into a massive round of applause and began shouting the chant "I'm Not Afraid," which has become a rallying cry in the days since the attacks.
Similar tributes were to be held at all Spanish league matches this weekend.
Extra security was in force in and around Camp Nou for the match.