An Islamic militant group in Russia's North Caucasus claimed responsibility Sunday for twin suicide bombings in the southern city of Volgograd last month and posted a video threatening to strike the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
There had been no previous claim of responsibility for the bombings, which killed 34 people and heightened security fears before next month's Winter Games.
In the video, two Russian-speaking men warned President Vladimir Putin that "If you hold these Olympics, we will give you a present for the innocent Muslim blood being spilled all around the world: In Afghanistan, in Somalia, in Syria."
- CBC at the Olympics: Sochi 2014
- Sochi security: The mystery group behind Russia's Islamist insurgency
- Russia security forces, militants face off before Olympics
- Russia's Olympic security to set new surveillance standard at Sochi
They added that "for the tourists who come, there will be a present, too."
In a statement posted with the video on its website, the militant group Vilayat Dagestan claimed responsibility for the Volgograd bombings.
The video claims that the two men, identified as Suleiman and Abdurakhman, were the suicide bombers and purports to show the explosives being prepared and strapped to their bodies.
There was no immediate reaction to the video from the Russian security services.
Chechen rebels urged to undermine Olympics
During much of the 49-minute video, the two men speak to the camera while holding Kalashnikov automatic rifles. Behind them hang black banners with Arabic religious phrases similar to those used by al-Qaeda.
Vilayat Dagestan is one of the groups that make up the so-called Caucasus Emirate, which seeks to establish an independent Islamic state in the North Caucasus, a region just to the east of Sochi on Russia's southern border.
Dagestan, one of several predominantly Muslim republics in the North Caucasus, has become the centre of the Islamic insurgency that has spread throughout the region following separatist wars in neighbouring Chechnya.
In response to the terrorist threat, Russia has introduced sweeping security measures for the Sochi Games.
The Chechen leader of the Caucasus Emirate, Doku Umarov, had ordered a halt to attacks on civilian targets in 2012, but he rescinded that order in July and urged his followers to try to undermine the Olympics.
The Kremlin-backed leader of Chechnya claimed last week that Umarov was dead, but the claim couldn't be verified.
The Vilayat Dagestan statement said the Volgograd attacks were carried out in part because of Umarov's order, but didn't specifically say he had ordered them.
CBC News cannot verify the video, nor the claims made in it.
'High probability' of attacks
Ray Boisvert, former assistant director of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service, said there is “a high probability” of additional attacks in the region between now and after the Games.
Boisvert, who was responsible for risk assessment at CSIS, added that the chance of the attacks penetrating the Olympic security perimeter is 20 to 30 per cent.
“Ultimately it comes down to doing the best possible defence work, and the Russians are very offensive in their defensive posture,” Bosvert told CBC News Sunday afternoon.
“They will do their best to secure the Games, but there will be a significant cost to human rights and a number of other issues.”
Boisvert suggests that Canadians travelling to Sochi should “get in and get out at the most direct route” and avoid tourism activities during the Games. Visitors should also stay within the Olympic venues and avoid public hubs like train and bus stations.