Former News of the World editor Rebekah Brooks says she felt "revulsion" when she learned the newspaper had hacked the voicemails of a murdered 13-year-old girl.
Brooks said Tuesday that as the storm raged over the revelation she received death threats — but also messages of support from CNN talk-show host Piers Morgan and former prime Minister Tony Blair.
Brooks testified at her trial on charges related to phone hacking. She denies guilt.
Brooks headed Rupert Murdoch's British newspapers when the story broke in July 2011. Murdoch shut the News of the World soon after.
The court was read an email from Morgan, a former tabloid editor, telling Brooks to "grit your teeth and stay strong."
Brooks had replied: "Can't believe any reporter would do that," referring to phone hacking.
Earlier in the trial, it was reported that Blair had also offered his support and advice to Brooks, telling her over the telephone to " tough up" and "keep strong." He offered himself up to Brooks and Murdoch as an unofficial adviser during the crisis.