Nigeria says Boko Haram militants agree to ceasefire, amid doubts
Extremist group has been demanding release of detained militants in exchange for kidnapped girls
Nigeria's government said Islamic extremists from Boko Haram have agreed to an immediate ceasefire, but many people expressed doubts Friday about a development that could end an insurgency that has killed thousands and left hundreds of thousands homeless in Africa's most populous nation.
The fate of more than 200 missing schoolgirls abducted by the insurgents six months ago still is being negotiated, Defence Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Chris Olukolade told The Associated Press.
- Nigerian schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram: protests but no rescue
- Boko Haram releases 27 hostages, including wife of Cameroon's vice-prime minister
But French President Francois Hollande welcomed the "good news" and told a news conference in Paris that the girls' release "could happen in the coming hours and days." France has been involved in negotiations that led to the release of several of its citizens kidnapped by Boko Haram in Cameroon.
Neither Hollande nor Nigerian government officials gave any details.
Boko Haram negotiators "assured that the schoolgirls and all other people in their captivity are all alive and well," Mike Omeri, the government spokesman on the insurgency, told a news conference.
The chief of defence staff, Air Marshal Alex Badeh, announced the truce and ordered his troops to immediately comply with the agreement.
"Already, the terrorists have announced a ceasefire in furtherance of their desire for peace. In this regard, the government of Nigeria has, in similar vein, declared a ceasefire," Omeri said.
No immediate word from extremists
But there was no immediate word from Boko Haram, which limits its public engagement to video announcements by its leader, Abubakar Shekau. Last year, when a government minister charged with negotiations announced an agreement, the group quickly published a video with Shekau denying it. He said at that time that whoever the government negotiated with did not speak for him, and that he would never talk to infidels.
Boko Haram — the group's nickname means "education is sinful" — drew international condemnation with the April kidnapping of 276 girls and young women at a boarding school in the remote northeastern town of Chibok. Dozens escaped in the first couple of days, but 219 remain missing.
Omeri confirmed there had been direct negotiations this week about the release of the abducted girls. Another official said the talks took place in Chad with Danladi Ahmadu, who was identified as the Saudi Arabia-based secretary general of Boko Haram. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to talk to reporters.
But two people involved in previous negotiations with the extremists said they had never heard of Ahmadu. Both spoke on condition their names were not published because of the sensitivity of the issue.
Doubts also were expressed on Twitter by Ahmad Salkida, a Saudi-based Nigerian journalist living in self-exile because of his links with top leaders of Boko Haram.
Possible political ploy
Salkida suggested the ceasefire announcement was a political ploy as President Goodluck Jonathan prepares to announce he will run again for the presidency in February elections. Boko Haram leaders are "miffed," Salkida tweeted, that people are being "easily encased in deceit."
In an interview with the BBC, Tukur said Boko Haram had promised to release Chinese construction workers kidnapped in Cameroon and the wife of a vice prime minister of Cameroon. Cameroon announced Oct. 11 that 27 hostages, including 10 Chinese and the Cameroonian official's wife, had been released.
The original #BringBackOurGirls protest movement in Abuja, Nigeria's capital, called for confirmation of the truce from the president.
The principal of the school from which the girls were abducted, Asabe Kwambura, had mixed feelings about the news. "If what we hear is true, I will the happiest person in the world to see these girls of mine return home in one piece," she told The Associated Press.
"But many of us are still forced to doubt government," she added, saying the girls should long have been rescued.