Pakistan's former president has dismissed a British newspaper's report he struck a secret deal almost a decade ago permitting a U.S. operation against Osama bin Laden on Pakistani soil.

Pervez Musharraf's statement comes after British newspaper the Guardian quoted unnamed U.S. and Pakistani sources as saying the two countries came to an agreement on targeting bin Laden and other top militants in Pakistan in late 2001.

300-musharraf-5352121-1

Former Pakistani president Pervez Musharraf, seen here leaving office in 2008, has called the killing of Osama bin Laden 'the success of all peace-loving people of the world.' ((Emilio Morenatti/Associated Press))

The reported terms of the agreement allowed U.S. forces to conduct a unilateral raid inside Pakistan for bin Laden, as well as his two deputies.

"Pervez Musharraf has seen a media report, and let me make it clear that no such agreement had been signed during his tenure," said Musharraf's spokesman, Fawad Chaudhry. "Also, there was no verbal understanding."

The sources told the Guardian both sides agreed Pakistan would fiercely denounce the incursion afterward.

On Monday, Pakistani Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani warned of "serious consequences" from unilateral actions such as the May 2 U.S. Navy SEAL raid that killed bin Laden, and said any future violations of his country's sovereignty could be met with "full force."

Gilani also rejected allegations that officials in his country were complicit in harbouring bin Laden, after U.S. officials questioned how the al-Qaeda leader could live undetected there for several years without some support.

The White House said Monday it wants to maintain a "co-operative relationship" with Pakistan, despite the apparent furor over the raid. Pakistan receives more than $3 billion a year in U.S. aid in return for its military combating militants in tribal regions near the Afghan border.

Musharraf, who is eyeing a political comeback after living in self-imposed exile since 2008, has called the killing of bin Laden "the success of all peace-loving people of the world."

But he also said the Americans should not have been allowed to operate independently in the country.

Bin Laden's son missing: report

Meanwhile, ABC News reported that one of bin Laden's sons went missing during the SEAL raid, according to Pakistani security officials.

The officials told ABC News that bin Laden's three wives told officials that one of his sons, who was not identified, has not been seen since the raid.

Officials said that Pakistani investigators believe it appears someone from the compound was unaccounted for after the raid.

But one U.S. official told ABC News there was no evidence anyone was missing from the compound.

U.S. officials have said that Khalid, one of bin Laden's sons, was killed in the raid.

Al-Qaeda calls on Muslims to avenge killing

Al-Qaeda warned on Tuesday that the U.S. had committed a "big mistake" and a "serious sin" in killing bin Laden and called on Muslims to avenge his death.

In a statement posted on the internet, al-Qaeda's official online media organization, al-Fajr, says the American people "will pay the price" for the raid.

The statement said that U.S. President Barack Obama "is protected by armies," but asks Americans, "who will protect you from our assault?"

Muslims were urged to use bin Laden's death as motivation to carry out attacks.

With files from The Associated Press