The retrial of Canadian journalist Mohamed Fahmy and Egyptian producer Baher Mohamed is set to begin Monday in Cairo.
Fahmy arrived for court shortly after 9 a.m. on Monday in Cairo.
Fahmy earlier told CBC News he met with the Canadian ambassador and Egyptian officials, who gave him assurances that they'll push for this case to be dealt with quickly. He said to CBC's Derek Stoffel that he and his lawyers believe deportation to Canada is still an option.
- Mohamed Fahmy 'will do whatever it takes' to avoid returning to Egyptian jail
- The Mohamed Fahmy Story : 400 Days | the fifth estate
- EXCLUSIVE | Mohamed Fahmy calls on Stephen Harper to push Egypt on deportation
The second trial was ordered after an Egyptian appeals court threw out the case that ended in Fahmy being sentenced to seven years in prison on terrorism charges. He said he expects the court will be adjourned until at least next week after tomorrow's hearing.
Fahmy said he still has no contact with anyone from the Prime Minister's Office or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Ottawa. He said that he's spoken with opposition MPs about his case.
Fahmy was released on bail on Feb. 12 following more than a year in prison and says he is preparing for a lengthy legal battle.
The two, arrested in December 2013, face charges accusing them of being part of a terrorist group and airing falsified footage intended to damage Egyptian national security.
Another colleague arrested with them, Australian Peter Greste, was deported to Australia on Feb. 1 under a new law allowing foreigners accused of crimes to be deported.
Fahmy, a dual Egyptian-Canadian national, dropped his Egyptian citizenship after he said security officials told him it was the only way he would benefit from the new law.
Egypt's Court of Cassation, the country's highest appeals court, ordered the retrial, saying the initial proceedings were marred by violations of the defendants' rights. Fahmy received a seven-year prison sentence, while Mohammed received a 10-year sentence.
Eleven other defendants in the case — mostly students accused of being Brotherhood members — previously were ordered released without bail.
Since being released on bail, Fahmy, 40, has criticized Al-Jazeera, saying its "epic negligence has made our situation harder, more difficult, and gave our captor more firepower."
Mohammed, 31, previously said he was "optimistic" about his retrial, though he "decided not to any expectations."