The opposing factions in the political standoff in Honduras appear to have reached a compromise on the return to power of deposed president Manuel Zelaya.

Interim President Roberto Micheletti's office released a statement saying only that no definitive agreement had yet been reached and that talks would continue Thursday.

But Victor Meza, a negotiator for Zelaya, said Wednesday the two sides have agreed on wording, but he did not say whether it means Zelaya will be allowed to return to office to finish his term, which runs out in January.

He said representatives had agreed on "point six" of a proposed agreement, which deals with the ousted president's return to office.

Meza told journalists that he was on his way to the Brazilian Embassy in the Honduran capital of Tegucigalpa, where Zelaya has been holed up since late September.

Negotiators have said they have agreed on all other points in the pact, first proposed by Costa Rican President Oscar Arias.

The deal would include a truth commission to investigate the events leading up to the coup and a committee to ensure that both sides live up to the agreement.

It also requires Zelaya to give up his efforts to change the Honduran constitution.

Honduran soldiers ousted the left-leaning Zelaya in a June 28 coup after Zelaya's opponents feared he wanted to modify the constitution to allow him to stay in office longer than the current one-term limit. Zelaya has denied that was his intention.

The deposed president slipped back into Honduras last month and took refuge in the Brazilian Embassy.

With files from The Associated Press