Justice Minister Aminata Toure of Senegal says former Chadian dictator Hissene Habre will go on trial next month for alleged crimes against humanity.     

The trial, which got the go-ahead after a vote in Senegal's parliament last month, will take place in a special tribunal authorized under the African Union.

The tribunal would mark a major step toward Africa dealing with its own alleged war criminals.     

Toure said Tuesday that the trial is expected early next month. Belgium has offered to help finance the cost of special African tribunals within Senegal's court system.     

Habre faces accusations of torture, crimes against humanity and war crimes during his rule from 1982 to 1990.

He has enjoyed 22 years of impunity after fleeing to Senegal — leaving behind a country strewn with mass graves.