Protesters in Egypt have started a day of civil disobedience and strikes to mark the first anniversary since the overthrow of Hosni Mubarak and his regime.

Mubarak resigned Feb. 11 last year after 18 days of mass protests against the government. He had been Egypt's president for 30 years and now faces charges of corruption.

The one-day strike was called for Saturday after a series of protests in the country demanding the military to transfer power immediately to civilians.

Demonstrators are keen for the military council to cede power to parliament, which was elected during three rounds of voting in November and December

While there are still protesters in Tahrir Square in central Cairo and many shops are closed, there’s little evidence of a widespread general strike.

"Millions of Egyptians don't have money, they live on less than two dollars a day," Fawad Gerges, the Middle East director at the London School of Economics, told CBC News on Saturday. Gerges said the day of action is largely one dominated by youth, as the rest of the country "cannot afford to take a day off."

Gerges said the military has mismanaged the transition.

"They have jailed 12,000 protestors," said Gerges. "The military is an economic powerhouse. They want to maintain control of their budget. They want to maintain control of their economic privileges."

Canadian Egyptian Ahmad Shokr, speaking from Cairo, said he feels a "mix of amazement" at the changes since a year ago. but told CBC News the country's revolution is "far from over."

"[We still] have abuses that have taken place from military trials, the deadly crackdown on protests to secrecy around decision-making," Shokr said.

Despite all the challenges, Shokr said Egyptians "feel much more in power than before."

General strike spotty

The Centre for Trade Union and Workers Services said Saturday employees and drivers of Egypt's underground metro have started a slowdown strike. Saturday is an extension of the weekend, so many workers' groups say they will likely join the strike call on Sunday, a normal working day.

Meanwhile, at Cairo's main railway station, banners proclaimed: "Train drivers and their assistants refuse civil disobedience."

Students at several Catholic schools, who take Sunday off instead, led marches on Saturday against military rule instead of attending classes. As well, hundreds of students at several universities, including Cairo University and Alexandra University, also held protests Saturday.

Reports said truckers blocked a few roads and refused to deliver goods in some areas while 700 health workers have also reportedly started a strike in Qena.

Union groups said they suspect more workers will join a general walkout on Sunday.

The Supreme Council of the Armed Forces pledged in a release read out on state TV Friday it would not "succumb to pressures" to accelerate the transition.

In the statement, the generals said they are still bound to a plan to pass executive power to an elected president before June 30. The generals and the military-backed Cabinet said the call for a general strike on Saturday was another example of foreign meddling.

Not all political parties are in support of the action. The Muslim Brotherhood, the biggest winner recent elections, has come out against the strike action.

With files from The Associated Press