Democratic National Convention attracts celebrity guests
Stars like Paul Simon and Eva Longoria performed, spoke at party's big meeting
CBC News Posted: Jul 26, 2016 11:37 AM ET Last Updated: Jul 26, 2016 11:50 AM ET
This week's Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia has attracted political heavyweights but it's also drawn performers and speakers from the entertainment realm.
Singer Paul Simon performed at the convention.
Simon sings during his sound check ahead of the 2016 Democratic National Convention.
Simon greets the audience while performing at the Democratic National Convention on July 25, 2016.
Senator Al Franken and comedian Sarah Silverman spoke.
Silverman sparked controversy when she told the 'Bernie or Bust' supporters they were being "ridiculous."
Singer Demi Lovato spoke about mental illness before performing.
"Like millions of Americans, I am living with mental illness, but I'm lucky I had the resources and support to get treatment at a top facility," Lovato said, adding that other Americans do not get help because of stigma and financial issues.
Following her speech, Lovato, 23, performed her song Confident.
Actress Susan Sarandon made an appearance.
Sarandon, a Bernie Sanders supporter, recently criticized the Democratic party over the content of leaked emails that seemed to show favouritism towards presumptive Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.
Television star Eva Longoria spoke about immigration.
Longoria talked about her own experiences as an American of Mexican descent. "When Donald Trump calls us criminals and rapists, he's insulting American families. My father is not a criminal or a rapist. In fact, he's a United States veteran," she said.
Comedian Stephen Colbert filmed a segment for his television show.
The Late Show host dressed up as a Hunger Games character, just as he did at the Republican National Convention.
U.S. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and two of her grandsons greeted Colbert on the floor ahead of the convention.
- U.S.-backed forces celebrate fall of ISIS 'capital,' Raqqa
- Passengers describe crew panic as Indonesia AirAsia plane rapidly descends 7,250 metres
- 'It's a dark day': 276 killed in deadliest single attack in Somalia's history
- Joshua Boyle says wife rushed to hospital, illness unknown
- North Korea warns of nuclear war at 'any moment'
- 'I was still in shackles, still woozy': Freed hostage Joshua Boyle recounts captivity in Afghanistan
- 'The old guard in revolt': Why ex-presidents are violating code of silence to fight 'Trumpism'
- 1 dead, 9 injured in stabbing at mall in Poland
- Hurricane Ophelia's remnants kill 3 in Ireland
- Freed hostage Joshua Boyle says children adapting to '1st true home'