China's rail network resumes after deadly crash
Weekend crash worries expansion critics
China's rail network has resumed operations after a crash killed at least 38 people and hurt 192 in eastern China on the weekend.
Experts have also blamed the quick development of the network for the crash in Wenzhou city of eastern Zhejiang province.
Doubts about China's breakneck plans to expand high-speed rail across the country have been underscored by Saturday's wreck.
Railways Minister Sheng Guangzu has already apologized to the victims and their families. A train rammed into the back of another one that stalled after being hit by lightning in China's deadliest rail accident since 2008. Six carriages derailed and four fell about 20 to 30 metres from a viaduct.
The Railway Ministry and government officials haven't explained why the second train was not warned there was a stalled train in its path.
The accident is the latest blow to China's bullet train ambitions. Designed to show off the country's rising wealth and technological prowess, the national prestige attached to the high-speed rail project is on a par with China's space program.
Beijing plans to expand the high-speed rail network — already the world's biggest — to link far-flung regions and is also trying to sell its trains to Latin America and the Middle East.
Last month, it launched to great fanfare the Beijing to Shanghai high-speed line, whose trains can travel at a top speed of 300 kilometres per hour. The speed was cut from the originally planned 350 km/h after questions were raised about safety.
Storms and winds blamed for outages
In less than four weeks of operation, power outages and other malfunctions have plagued the showcase 1,318-km line. The Railways Ministry previously apologized for the problems, and said that summer thunderstorms and winds were the cause in some cases.
Official plans call for China's bullet train network to expand to 13,000 km of track this year and 16,000 km by 2020.
China's trains are based on Japanese, French and German technology, but the manufacturers are trying to sell to Latin America and the Middle East. That has prompted complaints that Beijing is violating the spirit of licences with foreign providers by reselling technology that was meant to be used only in China.
Saturday's accident involved the first-generation bullet trains, which were launched in 2007 and have a top speed of 250 km, slower than the new Beijing to Shanghai trains.
The tragedy pummelled railway shares with China Railway Group sliding 7.7 per cent. The high-speed rail woes added to negative sentiment from the U.S. debt deadlock, sending the Shanghai Composite Index down three per cent to 2,688.75.
The official Xinhua News Agency reported Monday that government sources in Wenzhou said the accident had killed 38 people and that was not the final death toll. Calls to the infomation office of the Railways Ministry rang unanswered, but it had said earlier in the day that the accident killed 36 people and injured 192.
The crash happened when a bullet train travelling south from the Zhejiang provincial capital of Hangzhou lost power in a lightning strike, stalled and was hit from behind by a second train in Wenzhou city.
Three top officials at the Shanghai Railway Bureau were sacked after the accident, and state-controlled media have raised questions, especially as rail travel moves hundreds of millions of people a year.
In an editorial titled "Train crash lesson for railway progress," the Global Times said the accident should be "a bloody lesson for the entire railway industry in China."
The newspaper said the collision casts doubt on China's high-speed railway expansion plans because the country "lacks experience" as it seeks to join the top ranks of railway engineering.
It said China's high-speed railway has become "the newest target of public criticism," adding the accident should lead to "safer, not slower, railway transportation."
Safety overhauls to be launched
China's transportation authority ordered local departments at an emergency meeting Sunday to launch thorough safety overhauls to "resolutely curb" severe traffic accidents, the official Xinhua News Agency reported. The order follows a number of recent accidents, including a fire on a long-distance bus on Friday that killed 41 people.
The China Daily said in an editorial that the rapid development of China's high-speed network has eased travel for passengers, but safety worries could keep them off high-speed trains.
This is because "the higher the speed of the trains, the more sophisticated the technology will be and the greater the risk if there is a failure of any link in the safety chain," it said.
The paper called for better training of railway employees and efforts to make sure the railways are not vulnerable to extreme weather conditions.
State broadcaster CCTV reported Monday that a two-year-old girl pulled from one of the derailed carriages 21 hours after the crash had undergone a three-hour operation. It said she had suffered lung, kidney and leg injuries and is now in intensive care. Her parents died in the crash.
In April 2008, a regular-speed train travelling from Beijing to the eastern coastal city of Qingdao derailed and crashed into another train, killing 72 people and injuring 416.