Chinese police have arrested more than 110 people on suspicion of selling pork from diseased pigs in the country's latest food safety scandal.

Public Security said in a statement Monday that more than 1,000 tonnes of contaminated pork and 48 tonnes of cooking oil produced from the meat had been seized in the operation that began last year across 11 provinces.

The ministry said the suspects belonged to 11 different syndicates who purchased pigs that had died of disease at cut-rate prices from farmers, and then processed them into bacon, ham and oil.

It said the producers sourced the pigs by bribing government livestock insurance agents, several of whom are also facing prosecution.

A series of scandals in China has deeply undermined public trust in food safety.

Last summer, McDonald's and KFC had to apologize to customers in China and Japan after a Shanghai television station reported a supplier, Husi Food Co., Ltd. had sold them expired beef and chicken.

Chinese regulators also shut a plant after a report that workers picked up meat dropped on the floor and mixed expired meat with new.  The companies said they immediately stopped using meat from Husi.

Dragon TV said that Husi, owned by OSI Group of Aurora, Ill., repackaged old beef and chicken and put new expiration dates on the packages.