Canadian confirmed dead in Bangkok nightclub fire
A Canadian was one of more than 60 people killed in a massive fire that swept through an upscale Bangkok nightclub on New Year's Eve, Foreign Affairs officials confirmed Tuesday.
No details about the Canadian are being released for privacy reasons, spokesman Daniel Barbarie told CBC News. He said consular officials are in contact with the family and are offering support and assistance.
He provided no further details.
About 1,000 people were inside the Santika Club celebrating New Year's Eve when the fire erupted. More than 200 people were injured in the blaze, which police suggested was either triggered by an indoor fireworks display or by the firecrackers guests brought into the two-storey club.
Police at the time said some of those who were injured and killed were trampled in a stampede triggered by frightened guests scrambling to escape the club, which only had one door for entry and exit. Initial estimates pegged the death toll at 59, but that has since risen as some of the injured have died. Media reports suggest that between 62 and 64 people are now dead.
Police have said criminal charges will be filed against Wisuth Setsawat, a Thai-Chinese businessman who owned the club.
The club is popular among Bangkok's affluent residents, as well as with foreigners. Visitors from Europe and Asia were among the injured and dead.