​The dead and injured in Barcelona are a snapshot of the world — men, women and children from at least two dozen nations — testifying to the huge global appeal of the sun-kissed Spanish city.

Families, friends and government officials from Paris to Sydney and San Francisco to Berlin scrambled Friday to discover whether their loved ones and citizens were among those mowed down by suspected Islamic extremists who zigzagged down Barcelona's always crowded Las Ramblas promenade in a van, killing 13 people and injuring more than 100 others. Another person lost her life following the similar attack in Cambrils, southwest of Barcelona. 

A Canadian citizen, Ian Moore Wilson, was killed and four other Canadians injured in the attack in Barcelona, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau confirmed Friday. Wilson's wive, Valerie, is among the injured.

Here is a look at some of the victims:

Spain Attacks

King Felipe of Spain, centre, Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy, centre left, and Catalonia regional President Carles Puigdemont, centre right, arrive Friday to observe a minute of silence in memory of the Barcelona attack victims. (Manu Fernandez/Associated Press)

Julian Cadman, 7, Australia and U.K.

The British and Australian governments and Catalan emergency services announced the death of seven-year-old Julian Cadman on Sunday. The boy, a dual citizen of Australia and Britain, had been missing since the attack that seriously injured his mother.

Julian and his mother, Jom Cadman, were in Barcelona for a family wedding and enjoying the sights when a van sped down the Las Ramblas promenade targeting pedestrians. His mother, a 43-year-old from the Philippines who had been living in Australia, was hospitalized.

"He was so energetic, funny and cheeky, always bringing a smile to our faces," the child's family said in a statement released by the Australian department for foreign affairs after his death was announced.

Elke Vanbockrijck, Belgium

Arnould Partoens, president of the KFC Heur Tongeren football team, said Vanbockrijck was at the club "nearly every day," ferrying her 10- and 14-year-old boys back and forth to training and matches. He described her as very committed, often speaking her mind about the boys' and their teams' performances.

"She was not negative. She was always positive," he said in a phone interview. He said the team would hold one minute of silence before every match and training session this weekend.

barcelona aftermath elke vanbockrijck

Belgian Elke Vanbockrijck was killed in Thursday's van attack in Barcelona. (City of Tongeren/Associated Press)

Partoens said the family was on vacation in Barcelona. The boys and their father, a policeman, were unhurt, he said.

"The mother was in the wrong moment and the wrong place," he said.

In a message of condolence on its Facebook page, the club said: "We deplore the death of Elke, the mother of two players from KFC Heur Tongeren. She was often at the club, and was committed to our club. We will always remember her as a happy woman, a caring mother and loving wife. Elke will be missed. Our deepest sympathy goes out to her two sons, her husband, family and loved ones."

Jared Tucker, 42, U.S.

Jared Tucker, of northern California, was spending his first wedding anniversary overseas when he was killed in the Barcelona attack. 

Tucker's sister, Tina Luke, told The Associated Press that Tucker, 42, and his wife, Heidi Nunes-Tucker, 40, were celebrating their honeymoon after saving up for the trip.

His father, Daniel Tucker, told the New York Daily News that his son's body was identified at the morgue by Nunes-Tucker. "It's just something we really just don't understand," he said. "I don't know what else to say."

Jared Tucker worked with his father at a pool business since he was 16.

"He's been right there the whole time. All our customers love him. All people love him," the father told the newspaper.

Luca Russo, 25, Italy

One of Italy's two victims in the Barcelona van attack is being mourned as a brilliant young engineer dragged to his death before his girlfriend's eyes.

A determined Luca Russo, 25, already had a job in electronic engineering, no easy feat in Italy, where youth unemployment runs stubbornly high.

"We were investing in him, we wanted to make him grow professionally," said Stefano Facchinello, one of the partners in the Padua area company where Russo worked, speaking to the Italian news agency ANSA.

Facchinello praised Russo Friday as a "willing, precise and punctual young man. He made an impression on us for his rationality and determination."

Rosario Rizzuto, the rector at Padua University where Russo studied, said the young man had "earned his degree brilliantly and got down to work."

His girlfriend, Marta Scomazzon, who was hospitalized with a fractured foot and elbow, told an aunt that "we were walking together, then the van came on top of us."

Italian Premier Paolo Gentiloni confirmed Russo's death on Twitter.

Bruno Gulotta, 35, Italy

A father from Legnano in northern Italy is being praised as a hero who protected his children during the attack.

One of his Gulotta's work colleagues, Pino Bruno, told ANSA that he saved the life of his two young children — Alessandro, 6, and Aria, 7 months — by throwing himself between them and the van that mowed people down.

Bruno said he spoke to Gulotta's wife, Martina, and she told him her husband had been holding the six-year-old's hand on the tourist-thronged avenue in Barcelona when "the van appeared suddenly."

Italy Spain Attacks

This December 2016 photo provided by Tom's Hardware Italy shows Bruno Gulotta, centre, wearing a black shirt, with his colleagues at their office in Legnano, near Milan. (Tom's Hardware Italy/Associated Press)

"Everyone knelt down, instinctively, as if to protect themselves," Bruno said, adding that Gulotta put himself in front of his children and was fatally struck.

Gulotta was a sales manager for Tom's Hardware Italia, an online publication about technology. "Rest in peace, Bruno, and protect your loved ones from up high," read one tribute on the company's website.

Francisco Lopez Rodriguez, 57, and Javier Martinez, 3, Spain

One of his nieces, Raquel Baron Lopez, said on her Twitter account that Rodriguez, 57, died immediately when he was struck by the van. After the attack, Lopez posted pictures of her uncle on Twitter when his family was looking for him and trying to find out whether he was alive.

Rodriguez was killed along with his three-year-old nephew Javier Martinez while walking along Las Ramblas.

The mayor of Lanteira, the southern town in Spain where Rodriguez was born, confirmed his death.

Rodriguez lived in Rubi, a migrant town of 75,000 people northwest of Barcelona, and had been visiting the Catalan capital with his wife, Roser, who is in hospital. 

Spain Attacks

People gather at a memorial tribute on Barcelona's historic Las Ramblas promenade on Friday. (Manu Fernandez/Associated Press)

Carmen Lopardo, 80, Italy

Lopardo, apparently the oldest person to die in the attack, was among three Italians killed in the attacks, according to Italy's foreign ministry.

In a statement, it said Lopardo was killed in the "vile terrorist attack in Barcelona," without providing details.

News reports said Lopardo was an Italian who had immigrated to Argentina in 1950 and was visiting Barcelona.

Silvina Alejandra Pereyra, 40, Argentina and Spain

Argentina's Foreign Ministry says Pereyra, an Argentine-Spanish dual citizen who had been living in Barcelona for the last 10 years, is among those who died.

The ministry said in a statement that her death was confirmed through family members living in Bolivia after a cousin identified her body.

Pepita Codina, 75, Spain

Pepita Codina's death was confirmed by Xavier Vilamala, the mayor of Hipolit de Voldrega, the town of 3,000 people where she lived near Barcelona.

Vilamala said on Twitter he was "very sad and distressed" by the news.

Local media reported that Codina's daughter, Elisabet, was injured in the attack, but is currently out of danger.

Barcelona memorials

Messages of peace have been written on the walls around Las Ramblas in Barcelona following this week's deadly attack in the tourist hub. (Jared Thomas/CBC)

Ana Maria Suarez, Spain

The Spanish Royal family sent condolences to Suarez's family in its Twitter account after Ana Maria died in the attack in the resort town of Cambrils.

According to local media, the woman was originally from the city of Zaragoza, and was on vacation with her family. Her husband and one of her sisters are in hospitals with injuries from the attack.

She is the only civilian to have been killed in Cambrils, where attackers wearing fake explosives belts were shot to death by police.

Granddaughter and grandmother, 20 and 74, Portugal

The two were in Barcelona to celebrate the grandmother's birthday when they were caught up in the horror on Las Ramblas, according to Portuguese media reports.

The older woman was reported dead Friday but the younger woman was initially reported as missing. The 20-year-old's body was later identified. Prime Minister Antonio Costa confirmed her death in a statement Saturday.

Their names were not released.

With files from CBC News and Reuters