Ariel Castro's daughter 'devastated' over father's rape charges

The daughter of Ohio kidnapping and rape suspect Ariel Castro says she's embarrassed and devastated by her father's alleged actions.

Friend of Gina DeJesus, one of three women kept captive for 10 years

Cleveland man arraigned on charges of rape and kidnapping of 3 women 10:49

The daughter of Ohio kidnapping and rape suspect Ariel Castro says she's "embarrassed" and "devastated" by her father's alleged actions.

Arlene Castro, 22, told ABC's Good Morning America on Thursday that she is extremely sorry about everything.

"[I'm] just mainly devastated about this whole situation," Castro said.

Her father is suspected of keeping three women captive in his Cleveland home for close to 10 years and sexually assaulting them.

Arlene Castro was a friend of one of the women, Gina DeJesus. Arlene was walking home from school with DeJesus in April 2004 just before she disappeared.

A tearful Arlene Castro says she'd like to see her friend again and wants her to meet her children. 

"I had no idea," she said after being asked whether she knew what was happening in her father's house. She says the last time she spoke to him was in April.

Castro, who now lives in Indiana, says she and her father were never really close and that they only had short conversations in recent years.

"I'm so sorry Gina...I'm so sorry for everything," she said.

On Thursday, her father was arraigned on charges of rape and kidnapping. Ariel Castro looked down at the ground for almost the entire court proceeding, biting his collar and signing documents with his handcuffed hands. He didn't speak. Bond was set at $8 million. 

The women endured lonely, dark lives inside a dingy home where they were raped and allowed outside only a handful of times in disguises while walking to a garage steps away, investigators say.

The 52-year-old former school bus driver has emerged as the lone suspect. 

Assistant county prosecutor Brian Murphy said the women were beaten repeatedly and sexually assaulted. He said Castro used the women "in whatever self-gratifying, self-serving way he saw fit." 

Cuyahoga County prosecutor Timothy McGinty said Thursday he may seek the death penalty. McGinty said aggravated murder charges could be filed against Castro over the women's pregnancies he is alleged to have terminated by force.

Ohio law calls for the death penalty for the "most depraved criminals who commit aggravated murder during the course of a kidnapping," McGinty said.

Bound by rope and chains

While many questions remain about how Castro maintained such tight control over the women for so many years before one of them made a daring escape Monday, the horrors they suffered are beginning to come to light. 

Castro lured the women into his vehicle, according to court documents filed Thursday. 

Police say the women — Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight — were apparently bound by ropes and chains at times and were kept in different rooms. They suffered prolonged sexual and psychological abuse and had miscarriages, according to a city councilman.  

Castro has been charged with four counts of kidnapping — covering the captives and the daughter born to one of them — and three counts of rape, against all three women.  

Kathleen DeMetz, a public defender who represented Castro in court, said he would be transferred from a city jail medical unit  — where defendants charged with sex crimes or considered a suicide risk are normally held. She said he would probably be under suicide watch while at the county jail. 

Castro did not have a chance to talk to his two brothers, who were arrested and cleared without charges, DeMetz said.  

Ariel Castro 'kept everyone at a distance'

The women and Castro have given lengthy statements to police that have helped build their case, said Deputy Police Chief Ed Tomba. 

None of the women, though, gave them any indication that Castro's two brothers, who had been in custody since Monday, were involved, Tomba said. Prosecutors brought no charges against the Pedro Castro or Onil Castro, citing a lack of evidence. The brothers appeared in court before Castro, on unrelated charges, and were in the process of being released. 

"Ariel kept everyone at a distance," Tomba said. 

One thing that remains a mystery, he said, is how the women were kept in the house so long. 

"As far as the circumstances inside the home and the control he may have had over those girls ... I think that's going to take us a long time to figure that out," he said.

The women, now in their 20s and 30s, vanished separately between 2002 and 2004. At the time, they were 14, 16 and 20 years old.  

At a news conference, authorities would not discuss the circumstances of their kidnapping and captivity.  

City Councilman Brian Cummins earlier said: "We know that the victims have confirmed miscarriages, but with who, how many and what conditions we don't know."  

"It sounds pretty gruesome," he added.  

Police search 2nd house

They never saw a chance to escape over the last 10 years until this week when Berry got out of the home and ran to freedom, alerting police who rescued the other two women while Castro was away from the house.

[IMAGEGALLERY galleryid=4212 size=small]

In newly released police audiotapes, a 911 dispatcher notifies officers on Monday that she's just spoken to a woman who "says her name is Amanda Berry and that she had been kidnapped 10 years ago."  

An officer on the recorded call says, "This might be for real."  

After police arrive at the house, women can be heard crying in the background. Then an officer tells the dispatcher:  "We found `em. We found `em." 

Tomba said of Berry, "Something must have clicked and she saw an opportunity and she took that opportunity." 

He said the women could remember being outside only twice during their entire time in captivity. "We were told they left the house and went into the garage in disguise," he said.  

Also in the house was Berry's six-year-old daughter. A paternity test on Castro was being done to establish whether he fathered the child. 

While prosecutors announced charges against Castro, federal agents searched a vacant house near where the women had been held. Officials would only say their search was an attempt to get evidence in the case against Castro, but they refused to say what they found or what led them there.  

Castro was in custody and couldn't be reached for comment. A brother-in-law has said the family was shocked after hearing about the women at the home.  

Women welcomed home by jubilant crowds

Few people in Cleveland, outside the families of the women, thought there was any chance they were still alive. 

Berry, 27, and DeJesus, 22, were welcomed home Wednesday by jubilant crowds of loved ones and neighbours with balloons and banners. Family members hustled them inside, past hundreds of reporters and onlookers.  

Gina DeJesus, with her thumb raised, arrived at home to jubilant crowds of family and neighbours. (John Gress/Reuters)

Neither woman spoke.  

"This is the best Mother's Day I could ever have," said Nancy Ruiz, Gina's mother. She said she hugged her daughter and didn't want to let go.  

Ruiz said she spent time with all three women after they were rescued. "There's no word to describe the beauty of just seeing them," she said.  

Ariel Castro's arrest

A 2005 domestic-violence filing in Cuyahoga County domestic relations court accused Ariel Castro of twice breaking the nose of his children's mother, knocking out a tooth, dislocating each shoulder and threatening to kill her and her daughters three or four times in a year.

The filing for a protective order by Grimilda Figueroa also said that Castro frequently abducted her daughters and kept them from her.

In 1993, Castro was arrested on a domestic violence charge and spent three days in jail before he was released on bail. A grand jury did not return an indictment against him, according to court documents, which don't detail the allegations. It was unclear who brought the charge.

—The Associated Press

DeJesus' father pumped his fist after arriving home with his daughter, and urged people across the country to watch over the children in their neighbourhoods — including other people's kids.  

"Too many kids these days come up missing, and we always ask this question: How come I didn't see what happened to that kid? Why? Because we chose not to," he said.  

The third captive, Michelle Knight, 32, was reported in good condition at Metro Health Medical Center, which a day earlier had reported that all three victims had been released. There was no immediate explanation from the hospital.  

Police submitted four affidavits detailing the allegations against Castro — four kidnapping charges and three rape charges. 

The affidavits say Berry, DeJesus and Knight each were lured into Castro's vehicle and then held captive at the home on Seymour. 

"During this time period, the victim was repeatedly sexually assaulted by the defendant," Cleveland police Det. Andrew Harasimchuk wrote in each of the affidavits.