57 dead as 1 million flee southern China floods
State media reported 57 people have been killed and eight are missing due to flooding across a broad stretch of southern China.
A Sunday report by the official Xinhua News Agency said more than one million people have been forced to flee their homes across nine provinces, including Sichuan, which is still reeling from last month's earthquake that killed almost 70,000 people.
Heavy rain in Sichuan, Guizhou and Yunnan provinces will further raise water levels downstream, especially in the coastal manufacturing powerhouse of Guangdong, Xinhua said. Most of those areas are expected to receive more heavy rain over the next 10 days.
The worst-hit province was Guangdong where 20 people died and eight remained missing.
Streets and houses along the Xijiang River in Guangdong were submerged in the worst flooding to hit the Pearl River Delta region in 50 years, the official China Daily newspaper said.
With files from the Associated Press