Hulk Hogan has apologized after parting ways with the World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) amid reports of a recording in which the wrestling star makes racially charged comments.

Various reports say the departure took place in the wake of the WWE seeing a transcript of a recording in which Hogan uses the N-word to describe a man who was dating his daughter.

In a statement provided to People magazine, Hogan apologized for his comments. 

"This is not who I am. I believe very strongly that every person in the world is important and should not be treated differently based on race, gender, orientation, religious beliefs or otherwise," Hogan said.

WWE said in a statement Friday morning it had "terminated its contract with Terry Bollea (aka Hulk Hogan)."

"WWE is committed to embracing and celebrating individuals from all backgrounds as demonstrated by the diversity of our employees, performers and fans worldwide," the statement reads.

Hogan's lawyer told TMZ and People that his client was not fired, but resigned on Thursday night. 

Before the WWE issued its statement, Hogan had already vanished from the organization's website. The wrestler's profile page now reads, "You are not authorized to access this page."

Google's cache shows that Hogan's page was still online as of Thursday. 

The wrestler also no longer appears on the roster for WWE's tour of Australia next month.

Hogan returned to the WWE fold last year after a six-year absence.