On Friday, July 22, Norway suffered its deadliest attack since the Second World War. First, a car bomb was set off outside a government building in Oslo that housed the prime minister's office, killing eight people. Soon afterwards, word came of a shooting spree on Utoya Island, where a group of young people were on a retreat for the left-leaning Labour Party. The massacre at the camp left 68 dead and wounded nearly 100.
The man accused in the twin attacks, Anders Behring Brivik, 32, said he was motivated by a desire to bring about a revolution in Norwegian society. Many immigrants or children of immigrants were at the camp, an annual event for Norway's Labour Party activists - a seemingly perfect target for Breivik who complained in an 1,518-page online tract about Norway's government, which has opened its doors in recent years for asylum-seekers from war-torn states.
Breivik has plead not guilty in a hearing held behind closed doors, claiming his network has two other cells. He will be held for at least the next eight weeks and will be placed in complete isolation - unable to receive letters or visitors except his lawyer - for the first four.
On Tuesday, July 26, Norweigian police started releasing the names of the 77 victims killed in the attacks. A police spokesperson said the names, ages and addresses of the victims would be posted on the national police website after the victims' families had been informed.