NDP Leader Jack Layton died on August 22, 2011 after a battle with cancer. He was 61. The National's coverage of his illness, his passing, the state funeral, the memorials and tributes to him, and the legacy he has left, is presented here.
Remembering Jack Layton
CBC News Posted: Jul 26, 2011 4:19 PM ET Last Updated: Aug 30, 2011 3:57 PM ET
Top News Headlines
Welcome to The National, the flagship nightly newscast of CBC News, hosted by Peter Mansbridge.
Film, music and sports stars offer their season's greetings
Daredevils walk a slackline between 2 cable cars, 380 metres above ground, in the French Alps
A glass structure suspended over 3,650 metres in the air gives visitors a stunning view of Mont Blanc in France
- Hamilton police officer Ian Matthews dies after shooting himself at central station
- Crews hope to have Kingston crane down by Thursday night
- American conservatives take aim at the 'war on Christmas'
- Canada Post's Deepak Chopra says seniors want exercise from picking up mail
- Elderly patient sent home to 'an empty house'
- B.C. filmmaker Raymond Law charged with sex assaults
- Canada Post CEO Deepak Chopra to face MPs
- Crane worker saved from Kingston fire in 'extremely unusual rescue'
- Orlando the guide dog leaps onto NYC subway tracks to save owner
- McLaren aims to eliminate windshield wipers from cars