NDP Leader Jack Layton died on August 22, 2011 after a battle with cancer. He was 61. The National's coverage of his illness, his passing, the state funeral, the memorials and tributes to him, and the legacy he has left, is presented here.
Remembering Jack Layton
CBC News Posted: Jul 26, 2011 4:19 PM ET Last Updated: Aug 30, 2011 3:57 PM ET
Top News Headlines
Welcome to the National, the flagship nightly newscast of CBC News, hosted by Peter Mansbridge.
- South Korea ferry disaster: Texts from the doomed ship
- Calgary stabbing victims' families and friends shattered
- Jim Flaherty hailed as a 'hero' by sons at state funeral
- Stephen Arthuro Solis-Reyes charged in Heartbleed-related SIN theft
- Manitoba girl, 10, mauled to death by dogs in Lac Brochet
- Matthew de Grood, Calgary stabbing suspect, could face psychological tests
- Matthew de Grood: Who is the Calgary stabbing suspect?
- Sussex Corner flooding leads to state of emergency
- South Korean ferry sinking leaves 7 dead, almost 300 missing
- End of housing boom will be costly, Scotiabank warns