Q essay: Alice Munro, Nobel Laureate
Posted: Oct 10, 2013 10:09 AM ET
Jian says waking up to the news that Canadian author Alice Munro has been awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature made him feel full of joy and national pride. He says this is a big moment for Munro, for Canada and for storytellers.
Top News Headlines
Welcome to The National, the flagship nightly newscast of CBC News, hosted by Peter Mansbridge.
A man in his 30s was shot by police in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que., Monday after he allegedly hit two members of the Canadian Forces with his car and led police on a chase
Nepal wrapped up rescue operations in its northern mountains Monday, saying all the surviving hikers believed to have been stranded on a trekking route are now safe. Thirty-nine people died, including 4 Canadians, in blizzards and avalanches in the Himalayas last week
- Martin Rouleau, Quebec driver shot by police, 'radicalized': RCMP
- Peter de Groot's sister says, 'He was executed'
- Grizzly bear entered Claudia Huber’s house before fatal attack
- YouTube video shows B.C. grizzly chewing on GoPro camera
- Total oil company CEO dies in Moscow plane crash
- Indian status: Why Lynn Gehl's court challenge matters
- Oscar de la Renta, legendary fashion designer, dead at 82
- Shark attacks man surfing with 3 young sons
- Gerard Parkes, Fraggle Rock actor, dead at 90
- Negative online reviews led to threats of legal action from targeted businesses