Opposition leader calls for end to EI cuts
Tom Mulcair calls EI home visits the work of 'Harper Macoutes'
By Leslie MacKinnon, CBC News
Posted: Feb 27, 2013 2:05 PM ET
Last Updated: Feb 27, 2013 6:47 PM ET
NDP Leader Tom Mulcair speaks with the media in the foyer of the House of Commons Wednesday. The black hole patches on the MPs behind him symbolize the period of time seasonal EI recipients are ineligible for benefits. (Adrian Wyld/Canadian Press)
NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair announced Wednesday he is beginning a cross-Canada rallying effort to protest against employment insurance cuts and the government's plan to send inspectors to the homes of some EI recipients.
Ratcheting up the rhetoric at a press conference held in the foyer of the House of Commons, Mulcair called the civil servants tasked to make house calls the "Harper Macoutes."
(The Boubou Macoutes was the nickname given to special inspectors who visited the homes and investigated suspected "welfare cheats" when Robert Bourassa was premier of Quebec in the 1990s. The term Macoutes comes from Tonton Macoutes, the personal police force of Haiti's former dictator Jean-Claude Duvalier, whose members were known to torture, extort, burn and assassinate opponents.)
Mulcair called for the EI changes announced in last year's budget to be cancelled, saying they are an attack on seasonal workers whom he described as a Canadian reality in certain regions of the country. They are "the backbone of Canada," he said. "They define who we are. Yes, we have a lot of forestry, yes, we have a lot of fishing."
However, in a statement, Human Resources Minister Diane Finley said: "No one will lose their benefits if there are no jobs available in their communities. No one will have to take a job that puts them in a worse financial position than collecting EI alone. No one is being forced to move out of their community to find a job. No one is attacking seasonal workers or employers. "
"And seasonal workers will not be prevented from returning to their seasonal jobs when they start up again," she said.
Finley continued: ''The only people who lose if the Opposition stops us from rooting out employment insurance fraud are Canadians who follow the rules."
Mulcair accused the Conservative government of using cheap attack tricks against any opposition member who protests government tactics to deal with EI fraud.
"That's exactly the kind of game that was played by [Minister of Public Safety] Vic Toews when he was trying to send the government into your computer without a warning. He said you can stand with us or stand with the pedophiles," Mulcair said, referring to the government's attempt to introduce a bill that would allow police to access IP addresses without a warrant, a bill that has been since killed.
Nothing to live on
Mulcair warned about what he called a "black hole" that would be faced within weeks by "hundreds of thousands of Canadians and their families as they have nothing to live on."
In last year's budget, new rules were introduced that stipulate frequent users of EI, defined as people who've collected benefits for at least 60 weeks in the past five years, have to accept work that pays up to 30 per cent less than they earned in their previous jobs, and they must also be willing to commute up to 100 kilometres from their homes for a job.
Mulcair is demanding that those changes be rescinded and that the government "rebalance" the EI system to take into account regional differences in Canada.
At a separate press conference Wednesday, Sebastian Cumming, a restaurant owner from the Magdalen Islands, a part of Quebec, spoke of his reliance on seasonal workers for his business during the peak tourist season. He said they are now leaving the island because EI is no longer tiding them over during the off-season. He said that there have been cuts to EI in the past, but this time people don't understand how the new cuts work.
"In a place like where I'm from, the Magdalen Islands, you have fishing and you have tourism. there's nothing else. So if you don't have those two months with a decent pay you're just moving out. And the whole economy of the island is affected by that."
Cummings continued, "It's like they're considering everybody that lives in the far region and has seasonal work as a fraud, as a criminal. And that's not what we are. We worked hard to build what we have.And we're trying to get that season longer and longer and we're putting all our effort together."
'An affront to Confederation'
The issue of EI and seasonal workers dominated the first part of question period Wednesday. Interim Liberal Leader Bob Rae said that the government, by attacking the regional EI system, was downloading responsibility onto the provinces.
"All you're doing is creating a greater demand for social assistance and a greater demand for welfare at the same time that the government is cutting its employment insurance," Rae said. "It's an affront to the nature of Confederation itself. All the government is doing is saving money on the backs of the provinces, and on the backs of working people."
Prime Minister Stephen Harper replied that the government is in fact making greater efforts to help the unemployed get jobs where jobs are available.
"We're making sure that there are not inappropriate payments from the fund, taken from workers who paid legitimately into that fund. We're making sure it goes to the workers and unemployed who legitimately need it," he said.
The government held a conference call with reporters Wednesday to answer questions about how Service Canada investigates EI fraud, and how it administers its controversial home visit program.
A spokesperson said that "personal visits," including house visits, have been occurring for decades, and that the visit is actually a "home delivery" of a letter informing the EI recipient that an interview is desired to answer questions about the person's ability to work, whether they were living elsewhere or even outside the country and whether they are self-employed or working somewhere else while collecting EI.
The house call means that the interview could take place on the spot, if the recipient was agreeable. As an example of what information could be gleaned from a home visit, the spokesperson said that the investigator might notice that a home business, like a daycare, was operating from the house, but that information may not have been declared on the EI recipient's bi-weekly "report card."
The home visits are chosen on an "entirely random" basis, the spokesperson said, and there are 1,200 going on across the country: 220 in Atlantic Canada, 197 in Quebec, 384 in Ontario and 374 in the West.
In a handout, Service Canada said that last year it "was able to address almost half a billion dollars in ineligible payments" in EI as well as in Canada Public Pension and Old Age Security payments. It added that last year, 2011-12, almost $330 million in fraudulent or incorrect EI payments were "unaddressed".
The Service Canada spokesperson denied that bonuses of "any kind" were given to investigators or managers if ineligible EI payments are recovered, but admitted that "managers of managers" can receive "at-risk pay" as a reward for success in the entire program.
The government has admitted it had to suspend home visits in Tracadie-Sheila in New Brunswick due to security fears about its employees.
Mulcair suggested Wednesday the home visits might be against the law because they target people who "are not suspected of doing anything wrong, who have not broken the rules, who have in fact played by the rules."
Share Tools
Northern development, tax changes on today's House to-do list by Kady O'Malley Mar. 4, 2013 8:05 AM Also on the agenda today: Justice Minister Rob Nicholson takes his pitch to crack down on those deemed not criminally responsible to committee
Top News Headlines
- Cardinals begin pre-conclave meetings amid scandal
- Cardinals from around the world gathered inside the Vatican for their first round of meetings before the conclave to elect the next pope, amid scandals inside and out of the Vatican and the continued reverberations of Benedict XVI's decision to retire. more »
- Dad gets $22,000 data roaming 'shock' from Fido
- A B.C. dad is accusing Rogers of price gouging, after his 11-year-old mistakenly racked up $22,000 worth of data charges on his father's phone, during a family trip to Mexico. more »
- Queen remains in hospital after overnight stay
- Queen Elizabeth remains in a London hospital for a second day because of an apparent stomach infection. more »
- Egypt's politician skewer, testing the limits of post-revolution satire
- Meet Egypt's Jon Stewart, a former heart surgeon turned late-night TV host whose biting satire has not endeared him to the country's political class. But, as Nahlah Ayed reports, comedian Bassem Youssef may be the revolution's real star. more »
- Quebec papal contender 'ready' but wary of media spotlight
- Quebec Cardinal Marc Ouellet, who is considered by some to be a leading contender for the Vatican's top post, tells CBC's Peter Mansbridge in an exclusive interview he knows he must be ready to become the next pope as cardinals prepare to select Benedict's successor. more »
Latest Politics News Headlines
- UN food envoy scolds Ottawa's anti-poverty efforts
- The United Nations' right to food envoy says the Canadian government's controversial decisions to scrap the long-form census and negotiate a free trade deal with Europe will make it more difficult to fight poverty in Canada. more »
- Clark says B.C. Liberal cabinet is 'united'
- Embattled B.C. Premier Christy Clark said her cabinet was "united" after emerging from a three-hour emergency cabinet meeting in Vancouver Sunday night. more »
- Doctor-assisted suicide case back in B.C. court Monday
- Relatives of a B.C. woman who died of her illness while fighting to get doctor-assisted suicide decriminalized will be back in court Monday to defend a B.C. Supreme Court decision that ruled in their favour. more »
- Ex-Tory senator doesn't see 'usefulness' of the Senate
- Former Conservative senator Michael Fortier, whose nomination to the upper chamber once drew considerable controversy, says it's time to do away with the Red Chamber as it's outlived its usefulness in an interview with CBC Radio's The House. more »
The National
The House
- PBO warns government shipbuilding costs are off the mark Mar. 2, 2013 6:18 AM This week on The House, Evan Solomon sits down with Canada's Parliamentary Budget Officer Kevin Page to discuss his latest report on the purchase of joint support ships. Why did Page conclude that the government's estimated costs are off the mark? We also get reaction to Page's report from the Parliamentary Secretary to the President of the Treasury Board, Andrew Saxton.
- Baby born HIV-positive apparently cured, say scientists
- Dad gets $22,000 data roaming 'shock' from Fido
- Quebec papal contender 'ready' but wary of media spotlight
- Body of man found in home where police officer was killed
- War Witch triumphs at Canadian Screen Awards gala
- Heavy snow blankets southern Alberta
- Florida sinkhole home mostly demolished
- Expectant NYC couple dies in car crash, baby delivered alive
- Iceland tests find meat pies contain no meat at all


