Air force contradicts itself on F-35 fighter jet options
Head of air force tells Canadian Press other planes not considered, later statement says that's not true
The Canadian Press
Posted: Oct 23, 2012 9:39 AM ET
Last Updated: Oct 23, 2012 9:38 AM ET
A statement from National Defence says the head of the air force misspoke when saying the Harper government had yet to direct the air force to look at aircraft other than the contentious F-35 stealth fighter.
The newly appointed commander of the Royal Canadian Air Force said in an interview last week with The Canadian Press that he's assigned a staff officer to work with a public works agency overseeing the CF-18 replacement program, but a thorough examination of other possible aircraft would require a more detailed study by military planners.
And the order has not yet been given.
"So, I'm waiting to see exactly what is going to be required and we're going to be supporting whatever kind of information they'd like to have," said Lt.-Gen. Yvan Blondin.
The promise to look at "other options" was paramount to the government's response to auditor general Michael Ferguson, who last spring accused National Defence and Public Works of publicly low-balling the cost of the multibillion-dollar program and not following proper procedures.
But in a statement released late Monday, the air force said "work continues on the evaluation of options" mandated by the government and that "information shared with a reporter was incorrect."
It insisted work is progressing, without addressing the central question of whether other contenders such as the Super Hornet or the Eurofighter were up for consideration.
"The options analysis is a full evaluation of choices, not simply a refresh of the work that was done before," said the statement. "This detailed evaluation will provide the best available information about the range of choices that could do the job required."
Yet, when Blondin was asked twice during the interview whether other aircraft had been considered, he replied: "No."
Industry sources say competing contractors have not been asked to provide information.
Secretariat 'not sure' on next step
Following the auditor general's report, the government took responsibility for buying the new fighters away from National Defence and gave it to a secretariat established at public works.
The federal government has invested $335 million in developing the F-35 so far, and the Conservatives had been adamant that the multi-role plane was the best choice. The secretariat has attempted to interpret what the next step might be, said Blondin.
"I know there's some discussion within the secretariat about what exactly does that mean? Are we looking at options in terms of airplanes? Different airplanes and we're going to compare them? Are we looking at options in terms of time? Space? And if we don't have an F-35 solution, then we have Plan B? Or are we looking at options in terms of do we participate still in the development of the F-35, or not?" said Blondin.
"So, they're not sure."
New Democrat defence critic Jack Harris was startled by the apparent contradictions and described the statement as "bureaucrat-eze for saying they haven't looked at any other planes."
He said the government is clearly trying to "bluff its way through the issue."
The idea of looking at other aircraft "has not been foreclosed," said another government source.
'Textbook case of failure': Mulcair
Earlier, NDP Leader Tom Mulcair, said the phrase "looking at other options" is unequivocal and means at the very least a thorough examination of the potential competitors to the Lockheed Martin-built F-35.
"The F-35 is a textbook case of failure to be good public managers," Mulcair said.
"It's a simple question of public administration. There are rules and the rules exist because it's the best way to give the public best bang for their buck."
The government "never even defined the product we wanted and we decided it was going to be the F-35 and nothing else," he added.
In its haste to answer the auditor general last spring, the government initially named its Public Works secretariat the "F-35 secretariat," a slip Mulcair says that indicates the fix is in.
Another government promise coming out of the bombshell report involved providing an independent cost-estimate for the radar-evading jets and its 25 years of follow-on support and maintenance by early June.
That deadline came and went, and the government only hired an outside auditor at the end of August.
Government officials have suggested the public will get a look at the figures before the end of the year.
- Tories drop bid to strip citizenship of convicted terrorists by Kady O'Malley Jun. 19, 2013 10:00 AM Opposition-backed filibuster successfully staves off government efforts to expand Conservative MP Devinder Shory's private members bill
Top News Headlines
- Neil Macdonald: Washington's obsession with leakers
- Julian Assange and Edward Snowden are just the most prominent targets in an all-out legal and propaganda campaign that America's security apparatus is mounting against leakers everywhere, Neil Macdonald writes. more »
- Montreal scrambles to find new mayor, again
- As their city council searches for an interim mayor, Montrealers are still reeling from the corruption charges laid against a political leader who had pledged to clean up City Hall. more »
- Who's who in the Senate expense controversy
- Keeping track of the names popping up in the ongoing Senate expenses controversy — from the investigators to the four senators themselves — could be a difficult task for even the most seasoned political observers. more »
- How open is Ottawa's new 'open data' website?
- Treasury Board President Tony Clement is touting the federal government's revamped data portal as a "new natural resource." But that online window for previously published data arrives at the same time the government faces controversy over just how open it really is. more »
Latest Politics News Headlines
- Mask ban bill expected to become law today
- The bill that bans the wearing of masks or disguises during a riot or unlawful assembly is scheduled to become law today when it gets royal assent. more »
- Tory MP fined $155 for driving through Hill security stop
- Less than a week after Tories attacked NDP Leader Tom Mulcair for failing to stop for the RCMP on Parliament Hill, Conservative MP Eve Adams was caught and fined by security for reportedly talking on her cellphone as she drove through a checkpoint. more »
- 7 motions that shut down the House for the summer
- Eleventh hour burst of cross-party cooperation sends MPs home for the summer three days early. Read the motions that made it happen. more »
- Tories drop bid to strip citizenship for terror offences
- Opposition filibuster at committee blocks attempted rewrite of Conservative backbencher's private members bill more »
- Senator Tkachuk defends secretive committee's work Jun. 15, 2013 8:03 AM This week on The House, we ask Senator David Tkachuk about Mac Harb taking the Senate to court and Pamela Wallin's explanation for her expenses problems. Plus, National Chief of the Assembly of First Nations Shawn Atleo has strong words for the Harper government's approach to First Nations issues. The Aboriginal Affairs Minister Bernard Valcourt is here to respond.
- 2 men jailed in Dominican wedding fight return to Canada
- All-party deal on bills, MP oversight lets House out early
- Half of First Nations children live in poverty
- Tim Hortons being circled by Wall Street hedge funds
- Are e-cigarettes safe to puff?
- Most groups don't want return of Trudeau speaking fees
- Huge ancient city at Angkor Wat revealed by lasers
- Police probe death of woman, 27, in Kelowna home
- Hundreds attend 'Change Brazil' protest in Vancouver