Nigeria and Canada still negotiating gear for missing girls

Canada and Nigeria are still negotiating whether the African country will be getting Canadian military surveillance equipment to help in its search for nearly 300 kidnapped teenage girls.

MPs set to discuss kidnapping of Nigerian schoolgirls during emergency debate Monday evening

South Africans protest in solidarity against the abduction three weeks ago of hundreds of schoolgirls in Nigeria by the Muslim extremist group Boko Haram and what protesters said was the failure of the Nigerian government and international community to rescue them. (Ben Curtis/Associated Press)

Canada and Nigeria are still negotiating whether the African country will be getting Canadian military surveillance equipment to help in its search for nearly 300 kidnapped teenage girls.

Canadian Development Minister Christian Paradis says diplomats from both countries are still working out the details of Canada's offer of assistance, which he personally delivered this week.

Paradis was briefing journalists after meeting with Nigeria's vice-presidents on Tuesday on a previously scheduled trip to the country for a international development meeting.

The Harper government has offered to provide surveillance equipment, plus the military personnel to operate it, in an effort to help find the hundreds of teenaged girls abducted by the Boko Haram Islamic militant group last month.

Paradis was in the Nigerian capital of Abuja this week for a meeting of the World Economic Forum on Africa.

MPs are scheduled to hold an emergency debate on the situation Monday evening after House of Commons Speaker Andrew Scheer granted a formal request by New Democrat MP Paul Dewar.   

Canada to chair steering committee

Canada was appointed chair of the organization's steering committee, which will look at how to create a new set of international development priorities once the current United Nation Millennial Development Goals expire in 2015.

Paradis said Canada will look at ways of leveraging support from the private sector and philanthropists to help create economic growth and sustainable development in poor countries.

But he declined to make a commitment on whether Canada will restart overseas development spending after 2015.

Former finance minister Jim Flaherty announced the aid spending freeze in a previous budget as a part of the government's deficit reduction strategy.

"Canada will work with other nations to leverage new partnerships as well as financing tools and sources to generate jobs, growth, and prosperity in developing countries," Paradis said.

With files from CBC News

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.