Mike Duffy 'keen' for case to be heard 'where people are under oath'
Suspended Senator Mike Duffy says he is "keen" to have his story heard in court, when he can prove to Canadians he has not "breached the Criminal Code of Canada."
The RCMP on Thursday announced 31 charges against the suspended senator, including fraud, breach of trust and bribery of a judicial officer. The charges relate to Duffy's secondary residence expenses, to expenses unrelated to Senate business, to the awarding of contracts and to a $90,000 payment from the prime minister's former chief of staff, Nigel Wright.
"I'm keen to have my story heard by Canadians in a court of law where people are under oath," Duffy told CBC News outside his home in Cavendish, P.E.I., Friday, sticking closely to a written statement released earlier in the day.
"And when that story is finally told, Canadians will understand that I have not breached the Criminal Code of Canada."
Duffy, who has been under investigation by the RCMP for more than a year, said he wants the case to move quickly.
"I would like to get this matter before the judge as soon as possible. Early 2015 is fine with me. I'd like to get it settled so Canadians will know the real story."
Duffy has faced questions about his expenses since late 2012. He left the Conservative caucus in May 2013 after the $90,000 payment to repay his expenses came to light. In November, he was suspended from the Senate for two years along with fellow former Conservatives Pam Wallin and Patrick Brazeau over ineligible expenses.
Brazeau and retired former Liberal senator Mac Harb have also been charged with fraud and breach of trust. Wallin has not been charged.