The federal government is spending $1.1 million to fund eight new projects to combat violence against women and girls online, Status of Women Minister Kellie Leitch announced today.
"Our government is committed to ending violence against women and girls in all its forms," Leitch said in a statement Friday.
"We proudly support community-based projects across the country that help victims and provide services that prevent cyberviolence. By targeting such violence, these projects strengthen our communities and make a positive difference in the lives of women and girls," Leitch said in the statement.
The projects announced Friday received funding under a call for proposals to tackle cyber and sexual violence.
Three of the eight groups are based in Ottawa, the others projects are in Saskatchewan, Quebec, Newfoundland and Labrador and Mississauga, Ont.
The announcement comes a day before the annual Oct. 4 rally to remember missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls.
Leitch tabled a $25 million over five years action plan last month to address violence against aboriginal women and girls.
The federal government says it has provided more than $70 million through Status of Women Canada since 2007 to support projects to prevent violence against women and girls.