Prime Minister Stephen Harper has returned to Ottawa a day after Canadians elected his Conservative Party to form its first majority government. video
All results are unofficial until final ballot counts are verified by Elections Canada. CBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
There will be more female faces in the House of Commons following Monday's federal election that saw 76 women elected, the highest number of women ever.
NDP Leader Jack Layton defends his youngest, least-experienced caucus members after Quebec voters elect three McGill University students and a pub manager who doesn't speak French or live in the francophone riding she'll represent. video
Michael Ignatieff is quitting as the Liberal leader after his party took an electoral drubbing on Monday night. video
- Harper faces cabinet gaps
- Judicial recounts expected in 2 ridings
- Cagefighter, bartender, musician among new MPs
- analysis WESTON: Majority rules — just about everything
- Harper: Majority win turns page on uncertainties video
- NDP's Layton becomes Official Opposition leader video
- Prominent candidates: Duceppe, Ignatieff, Cannon defeated
- Voter turnout inches up to 61.4%
- live RECAP: Election night chat
- updated Duceppe quits after BQ crushed in Quebec video
- Persistence pays off as Harper wins majority video
This week in Canadian politics
Leaders & Parties
Tools and useful information in your riding
Citizen blogs roundup
by Your Take Team May. 6, 2011 10:02 AM
Now that the election is over, the Your Take bloggers have been sending in their final posts and giving us a sense of how everything played out in their area. The following are some of the entries we'd like to highlight.
Kincardine: New knowledge
by Your Take Team May. 6, 2011 9:58 AM
"I'm glad for the NDP but I also thought that all the parties deserved more than what they got, especially the Green Party and the Liberals."
Dubai: Post-election thoughts
by Your Take Team May. 4, 2011 4:39 PM
Your Take blogger Anna AbouZeid talks to other Canadians living overseas about their post-election feelings.
Montreal: Bitter Orange
by Your Take Team May. 4, 2011 3:11 PM
Your Take blogger Cédric Levasseur-Laberge gets reaction from some young Quebecers on the bitter orange taste left after election night.
Montreal: 'Hurricane Jack reshaped the Quebec political landscape'
by Your Take Team May. 4, 2011 2:49 PM
Your Take blogger Liam Chapman reports reaction to the NDP wave in Quebec.
What is truth in an election campaign?
by Ira Basen Apr. 30, 2011 3:47 PM
Fail At Reality Check we take what politicians say at face value. Maybe that's a mistake.
The cost of being tough on crime
by David McKie Apr. 30, 2011 9:54 AM
Fail The Conservatives have used their so-called tough-on-crime agenda to drive a wedge between themselves and their political opponents. But the issue here is cost.
The NDP's cap-and-trade plan: Brace for sticker shock
by Reality Check Team Apr. 29, 2011 5:10 PM
Fail The NDP wants to curb GHG emissions and raise billions in revenue by imposing cap-and-trade on big polluters. But these costs will be passed along.
The NDP and price of doctors
by Meagan Fitzpatrick Apr. 29, 2011 4:08 PM
50-50 The NDP is promising to add 1,200 doctors over the next 10 years and has a thought-out plan. But is it really accounting for all the additional costs to the health-care system?
What comes next? Post-election scenarios and the Constitution
by Laura Payton Apr. 29, 2011 1:03 PM
Pass The surprising increase in NDP popularity makes this election harder than usual to predict. But there are three main scenarios that could play out after election day.
- Power & Politics Ballot Box question by Rosemary Barton May. 24, 2013 4:35 PM Does Rob Ford's statement put an end to the allegations of crack use?
- 'Fighting Foreign Corruption' on House agenda as wild week wraps up by Kady O'Malley May. 24, 2013 7:49 AM Also today: Liberal MP John McKay gets his first crack at convincing his colleagues to back his latest attempt to force transparency on Canadian overseas mining operations
- Follow politics live on our Hill tickers by Kady O'Malley May. 24, 2013 5:00 AM Stay up to the minute with our daily liveblog from the Parliament Hill precinct and our other live events.
- For The Record: Federal Court ruling on robocalls and electoral fraud by Kady O'Malley May. 23, 2013 8:41 PM Read the full decision here.
- Power & Politics Ballot Box question by Evan Solomon May. 23, 2013 4:28 PM What's the best way to get to the bottom of the Senate spending scandal?
Contents of this module will loop when using Previous & Next buttonsPrevious Slide