UFC: Do you watch mixed martial arts?
- February 12, 2011 2:37 PM |
- By POV
The first Ultimate Fighting Championship event in Toronto is officially a sellout, with fans snapping up 55,000 tickets to the April 30 show.
The previous attendance mark was more than 23,000 fans at UFC 124 in Montreal's Bell Centre in December, according to The Canadian Press.
More than 40,000 tickets sold Thursday in the first day of a pre-sale. The rest were purchased Friday, in another pre-sale, and Saturday, when tickets were made available to the general public.
The Ontario government announced last year it would allow events featuring the controversial combat sport starting in 2011, following the lead of several other provinces including Nova Scotia, Quebec, and Manitoba.
The decision to sanction mixed martial arts competition in Ontario was immediately criticized by the Canadian Medical Association, which expressed concerns about the risk of potentially lifelong injuries to the fighters. At an annual meeting last August, CMA members voted overwhelmingly to campaign for a ban on "mixed martial arts prizefighting matches in Canada."
-With files from The Canadian Press
Do you watch mixed martial arts? Do you think the sport should be banned? Let us know in the comments below.
(This survey is not scientific. It is based on readers' responses.)
All News blogs
Point of View
- Valentine's Day: Post your love notes
- If you haven't noticed from the recent slew of jewelry ads on television and the sudden surge of heart-shaped boxes of chocolate in grocery stores, Valentine's Day is upon us once again. While some people shower their sweethearts with lavish... Continue reading this post
- UFC: Do you watch mixed martial arts?
- The first Ultimate Fighting Championship event in Toronto is officially a sellout, with fans snapping up 55,000 tickets to the April 30 show.The previous attendance mark was more than 23,000 fans at UFC 124 in Montreal's Bell Centre in... Continue reading this post
- Grammy Awards: Which nominee gets your vote for album of the year?
- Teen pop sensation Justin Bieber performs with Drake at the Juno Awards Sunday, April 18, 2010 in St. John's N.L.. (Mike Dembeck/Canadian Press)By CBC NewsAn eclectic mix of Canadian artists, both veterans and newcomers, figures prominently at this year's Grammy... Continue reading this post