Sleep: Do you get enough?
- January 4, 2011 9:32 AM |
- By POV
By CBC News
Canadians aren't getting enough sleep, according to a new poll commissioned by CBC News that suggests a level of sleep deprivation that could lead to side-effects more serious than grouchiness.
The exclusive poll conducted for CBC News by Leger Marketing found that six out of 10 Canadians get about one hour less than the six to eight hours of sleep experts say most adults need in order to waken feeling refreshed and to perform optimally through the day.
Nearly 58 per cent of Canadians said they often feel tired -- a sign of the nation's sleep deficit.
Hamilton musician Luke Doucet says he has been haunted by sleepless nights, often lying awake in bed for three or four frustrating hours, for the past 25 years.
To see some tips for getting the sleep you need, visit CBC's live right now challenge page.
Is sleep an issue for you? Are you meeting your sleep requirements? Take our survey and let us know.
(This is not a scientific survey. It is based on readers' responses).
All News blogs
Point of View
- Internet freedom: Should government have the ability to shut down the internet?
- The Egyptian government shut down access to the internet and the country's cellphone data network early Friday, according to media reports. Internet and cellphone data service was unavailable throughout the country, making it impossible for news of the protests... Continue reading this post
- Access to information: Does Canada need to be more open with data?
- By CBC NewsCanada lags behind most other countries when it comes to sharing data with its citizens, according to the chair of the standing committee on access to information.Charlottetown MP Shawn Murphy's committee has been looking into how other jurisdictions... Continue reading this post
- TTC bus driver: Do you often see your local drivers texting?
- The Toronto Sun on Thursday published a picture sent by a reader of a TTC bus driver driving while texting on a mobile device. (Toronto Sun)The Toronto Transit Commission is coming under fire after the emergence of a picture... Continue reading this post