Fur: Is it acceptable to wear?
- December 17, 2010 11:45 AM |
- By POV
Liberal MP Justin Trudeau poses with his family on his annual holiday card. (Canadian Press)
By CBC News
A Christmas card showing Liberal MP Justin Trudeau and his family draped in coyote fur is outraging animal rights activists.
Trudeau's annual Christmas card sent to his Montreal constituents this year features his wife, Sophie Grégoire, and the couple's two children wearing parkas with fur-trimmed hoods, and the entire family is cuddled up under a fur blanket.
"During this holiday season, let's celebrate what's most important by surrounding ourselves with love and warmth," reads the inscription in the card.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is calling the card "lurid," but the company that manufactured the fur-trimmed parkas, Canada Goose, maintains the fur they use for their parkas is acquired ethically, and adheres to the guidelines put out by the Fur Council of Canada.
Trudeau's father, the late prime minister Pierre Trudeau, was often photographed wearing fur-trimmed parkas.
In your opinion, is it acceptable to wear fur either as a fashion statement, or as a way to keep warm? Take our survey, and share your feelings on this debate in the comments section below.
(This is not a scientific survey. It is based on readers' responses).
All News blogs
Point of View
- Internet freedom: Should government have the ability to shut down the internet?
- The Egyptian government shut down access to the internet and the country's cellphone data network early Friday, according to media reports. Internet and cellphone data service was unavailable throughout the country, making it impossible for news of the protests... Continue reading this post
- Access to information: Does Canada need to be more open with data?
- By CBC NewsCanada lags behind most other countries when it comes to sharing data with its citizens, according to the chair of the standing committee on access to information.Charlottetown MP Shawn Murphy's committee has been looking into how other jurisdictions... Continue reading this post
- TTC bus driver: Do you often see your local drivers texting?
- The Toronto Sun on Thursday published a picture sent by a reader of a TTC bus driver driving while texting on a mobile device. (Toronto Sun)The Toronto Transit Commission is coming under fire after the emergence of a picture... Continue reading this post