Maclean's: Is the Oct. 4 cover with Bonhomme Carnaval offensive?
- September 24, 2010 3:16 PM |
- By POV
The Maclean's Oct. 4 edition has sparked controversy in Quebec. (CBC)
Quebec politicians and organizers of the Quebec Winter Carnival are up in arms about an explosive cover story in the latest issue of Maclean's magazine that declares the province the most corrupt in Canada.
The Oct. 4 edition of the magazine also depicts the iconic figure Bonhomme Carnaval carrying a suitcase overflowing with cash.
Two accompanying articles inside explore the question of why so many political scandals seem to happen in Quebec, from the current controversy involving judicial appointments to the patronage days of former premier Maurice Duplessis.
Quebec New Democrat MP Thomas Mulcair said he is sickened by the magazine's treatment of the issue from the cover to the content.
He said there is no evidence Quebec's history with corruption is worse than any other province.
Do you think the Oct.4 Maclean's cover depicting Bonhomme Carnaval with a suitcase of money is offensive? Why or why not.
(This poll is not scientific. It is based on readers' responses.)
All News blogs
Point of View
- Internet freedom: Should government have the ability to shut down the internet?
- The Egyptian government shut down access to the internet and the country's cellphone data network early Friday, according to media reports. Internet and cellphone data service was unavailable throughout the country, making it impossible for news of the protests... Continue reading this post
- Access to information: Does Canada need to be more open with data?
- By CBC NewsCanada lags behind most other countries when it comes to sharing data with its citizens, according to the chair of the standing committee on access to information.Charlottetown MP Shawn Murphy's committee has been looking into how other jurisdictions... Continue reading this post
- TTC bus driver: Do you often see your local drivers texting?
- The Toronto Sun on Thursday published a picture sent by a reader of a TTC bus driver driving while texting on a mobile device. (Toronto Sun)The Toronto Transit Commission is coming under fire after the emergence of a picture... Continue reading this post