Star Wars Day: 'May the fourth be with you'
- May 4, 2010 1:12 PM |
- By POV
Today is International Star Wars Day, an unofficial holiday to commemorate all things Star Wars. The original movie was released on May 25, 1977, but devoted fans have chosen May 4 as their day of celebration, based on the pun: "May the fourth be with you."
A Facebook event with over 63,000 attendees encourages people that it's easy to participate, for instance by writing Star Wars on your hand, or telling someone "the force is with them."
Other ways to celebrate: wearing Star Wars costumes, staging a light-sabre fight, hosting movie marathons, and talking, texting, or tweeting in 'Yoda-speech.'
Some companies are getting in on the fun. Toymaker Lego is offering free shipping and a chance to win a bronze figurine.
Check out this funny Lego recap of the original trilogy posted on YouTube.
TomTom chose May 4 to announce Darth Vader, Yoda and Han Solo voice options to help navigate on its portable GPS devices, only available in Europe as of now.
Jib Jab's website offers video greetings in which you can star in The Empire Strikes Back. Or send friends a free ecard to express the greeting of the day.
How will you commemorate the revolutionary series?
Tell us your plans for Star Wars Day.
All News blogs
Point of View
- Internet freedom: Should government have the ability to shut down the internet?
- The Egyptian government shut down access to the internet and the country's cellphone data network early Friday, according to media reports. Internet and cellphone data service was unavailable throughout the country, making it impossible for news of the protests... Continue reading this post
- Access to information: Does Canada need to be more open with data?
- By CBC NewsCanada lags behind most other countries when it comes to sharing data with its citizens, according to the chair of the standing committee on access to information.Charlottetown MP Shawn Murphy's committee has been looking into how other jurisdictions... Continue reading this post
- TTC bus driver: Do you often see your local drivers texting?
- The Toronto Sun on Thursday published a picture sent by a reader of a TTC bus driver driving while texting on a mobile device. (Toronto Sun)The Toronto Transit Commission is coming under fire after the emergence of a picture... Continue reading this post