Interview with free-speech lawyer Doug Christie
Posted: Jun 13, 2014 7:40 AM ET
Doug Christie has made a career of defending people many find indefensible; including racists, Nazis and Holocaust-deniers. For decades, Mr. Christie has represented people like Ernst Zundel and Jim Keegstra, on the grounds of freedom of expression. But he won't be able to for much longer. Mr. Christie has advanced liver cancer. And he fears that no other lawyer is willing to fill the void he'll leave behind.
Top News Headlines
Welcome to The National, the flagship nightly newscast of CBC News, hosted by Peter Mansbridge.
- Gillian Bennett, suffering with dementia, dies leaving right-to-die plea
- RCMP investigate double homicide in P.E.I.
- James Foley the subject of failed U.S. rescue mission in Syria
- Parents opt to keep babies off Facebook
- Neanderthals, humans may have coexisted for thousands of years
- Mohamed Yaffa accuses Air Canada of discrimination because he's Muslim
- Israel-Gaza conflict: Airstrike kills 3 Hamas leaders
- RCMP look into Calgary link with possible Islamic militants
- Killer whale flips 'sea lion' into air in YouTube video
- James Foley killing: Journalist’s parents honour slain son