India's election and the rise of Hindu nationalism
Posted: Apr 23, 2014 9:52 AM ET
Polls project Narendra Modi will become India's next Prime Minister. Modi is a Hindu nationalist, and his party, the BJP, is non-secular. Journalist Zahir Janmohamed says Modi's victory would embolden a divisive agenda in the country.
Top News Headlines
Welcome to The National, the flagship nightly newscast of CBC News, hosted by Peter Mansbridge.
- Nude celebrity photo leak casts iCloud over Apple launch
- Jennifer Lawrence photo hack: Apple admits some stars' accounts compromised
- Henry McCollum, Leon Brown declared innocent after 30 years in prison
- Ukraine conflict: NATO seeks to ward off more Russian aggression
- Ukraine crisis: Putin, Poroshenko 'largely share views' to end fighting
- Justin Bieber faces assault, dangerous driving charges in Ontario
- Steven Sotloff beheading shown in video, ISIS claims
- B.C. teachers' strike: After a wasted summer, stalemate rules
- Polar bears: Threatened species or political pawn?
- Type of diet doesn't matter as much as sticking to it and getting exercise