A new website aims to provide Canadians with a user-friendly snapshot of how the health system is performing.
The Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) released its interactive tool, OurHealthSystem.ca, on Thursday.
The website covers five areas:
- Access: While most Canadians are getting cancer radiation treatment in a timely fashion, waits are increasing for joint replacements.
- Quality: A significant drop in hospital deaths suggests that the quality of hospital care is improving overall in Canada but 1 in 12 Canadians is readmitted to hospital within 30 days of discharge.
- Spending: Spending on health care varies greatly across the country, even after considering age differences in the population.
- Health promotion and disease prevention: While smoking rates are declining in Canada, obesity rates continue to rise.
- Health outcomes: Canadians are living longer than ever, but they are not benefiting equally from improvements in health.
Visitors will also find infographics summarizing statistics such as how many people have a regular family physicians and life expectancy at birth.
In April, CBC's Rate My Hospital uncovered data about Canadian hospitals' performance.