Coroner says South Carolina teenager died after drinking several high-caffeine drinks
'Energy drink was basically chugged,' coroner says of death of Davis Allen Cripe
Davis Allen Cripe, 16, drank a latte from McDonald's, a large Mountain Dew soda, and a highly caffeinated energy drink in just under two hours, said Gary Watts, the coroner of Richland County, South Carolina.
Watts told Reuters by phone that physicians on his staff determined that Cripe died from a "caffeine-induced cardiac event causing a probable arrhythmia."
- Energy drinks' non-caffeine ingredients may affect heart
- Caffeine may affect teen girls and boys differently
It was likely that caffeine would not have been seen as a factor in his death if it had not been for witnesses who could tell officials what Cripe had to drink before he collapsed during a high school class, Watts said.
"The energy drink was basically chugged," Watts said.
Watts said Cripe was considered a healthy teenager and did not have an undiagnosed heart condition. There was no sign of a heart condition in an autopsy of the 16-year-old.
Davis weighed a little more than 200 pounds (90 kg) but would not have been considered morbidly obese, Watts said. He died about an hour after collapsing in a high school near Columbia, South Carolina.
"We're not trying to speak out totally against caffeine," Watts said. "We believe people need to pay attention to their caffeine intake and how they do it, just as they do with alcohol or cigarettes."
According to caffeineinformer.com, a McDonald's latte has 142 milligrams of caffeine, a 20-ounce Mountain Dew has 90 milligrams, and a 16-ounce energy drink can have as much as 240 milligrams.