Greyhound pulls 'bus rage' ads
Greyhound Canada is removing all ads that were part of a campaign related to "bus rage" in the wake of last week's horrific attack against a Greyhound passenger travelling from Edmonton to Winnipeg.
Greyhound spokesperson Abby Wambaugh said Tuesday, "Greyhound knows how important it is to get it removed and is doing everything possible."
The slogan has appeared in print and on billboards across the country. But following the attack, the company notified every vendor and asked them to cease using it.
Tim McLean, 22, was repeatedly stabbed and then beheaded by another passenger aboard a Greyhound bus travelling through Manitoba on July 30. Witnesses said the attack was unprovoked.
Wambaugh said print inserts are no longer running, but she doesn't know exactly when outdoor signs — placed in areas where there is heavy commuter traffic — will come down. One billboard has already been taken down in Western Canada, but there is still one remaining in Toronto, which she said will be coming down soon.
Wambaugh said the majority of the ads should have been taken down before the attack because the campaign had ended.
Greyhound, a Dallas-based company, launched the multi-million dollar "bus rage" ad campaign in late 2007, targeting the 18 to 24 demographic.
North America's largest intercity bus company has been through some tough times since the 1990s as ridership fell and the company went through bankruptcy protection.
Under new ownership, Greyhound has poured $60 million into improving service since 2004. The makeover included refurbishing the bus fleet, upgrading terminals and spending millions on advertising.
With files from Heather Bakken